Deploys for the week of 2013-03-04 (Updated @ 2013-03-05 11:30PST)

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do get the impression that the Lindens can pretty reliably measure the sever-time involved in the sim-crossing, but I am less confident that they are able to measure the time delays invoilved in actually transmitting the data over a network. Using such things as variations in ping time as a guide, I could be seeing five times as much delay in server to viewer traffic as somebody in Linden Labs might experience. How much the total effect is on sim-crossing, with most of the data transfer happening between Linden servers, I don't know. But it could extend a delay into the realm of human perception.

And second life transmits so many different sorts of data, from different servers, that I cannot see how anything can be delivered in a steady stream of regular packets. It's possible that taking the load off the sim servers has eliminated any chance of maintaining a steady flow. The sim server knows to send a position update, but it no longer can know if some large packet of texture data is likely to get in the way.

It very much seems as if Second Life might be behaving for everyone as if we were trying to simultaneously run a bit-torrent with no particular attempt to prioritise any particular sort of data packet.

Thats an execellent suggestion Qie !

"Because sim crossings are such a chronic problem, maybe we need to devise an exhaustive, objective, repeatable benchmark to run every week, so there are real numbers that indicate the effect of changes, good or bad."

The current aircraft sim crossing Bugs  will hopefully be fixed in the next few server code updates. (fingers crossed)

But  what do you think is a good maximum limit  for sim crossings in meters/second?  (for a best case sim crossing point such as perpendicular to border and in center of sims ...not the corners and flying in a straight path).

5 weeks ago i could  do sim crossing at up to 36 meters/sec  and the only limit was that I would pass completely across the the sim i was entering before I could regain control of the aircraft. Meaning the Sim server delay was about 7 seconds.

7sec=256meters /(36 m/s)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.