Laptop Question:Core i3 Processor with AMD Radeon HD 7610M Graphics(1GB Dedicated Memory)

Ariel Queller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just about to get my new laptop on wednesday....now i know desktops work better all round for SL but im not a fan of sitting at a desk **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif" border="0" alt=":smileyhappy:" title="Smiley Happy" />

Hi Ariel. I'm not sure what your question is as you didn't ask one but I assume you want comments on how this laptop will perform in Second Life. The answer is that it will run but likely not too well as the 7610M resides at the very bottom of the 7600M series of graphics cards. I suspect you will be running fairly low FPS on medium graphics setting at best and that is what the card should default to.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7610M.70566.0.html

I didn't know D.I.D. sold laptops, I don't think my local D.I.D. shop does unless it's started stocking them recently. You will get a better selection at Harvey Norman, PC World or Currys but to be honest, most of the laptops on sale in any of the electrical stores here in Dublin only have Intel HD 4000 chipsets and those that have discrete graphics cards are usually low end ones such as the 7610M. I think the stores realise that buyers with higher requirements will order laptops online. Have you thought of doing that and what is your budget?

I always wonder how people end up with crappy machinery. Even the cheaper laptops are still a considerable investment so at least a little bit of market reasearch isn't asked too much or is it? For 600 €urobucks you can get far superior machines. Also I wonder why ppl purchase just about any laptop first and only then thinking about how to access SL with it. SL is one of the more demanding and challenging tasks for every computer system, so if you really wanna go the lappy route please make sure your little thing has some gaming qualities. Google is your friend, so ffs use it!

sorry Nyll my question got all srewed up for some reason...heres what i actually asked lols

Just about to get my new laptop on wednesday..now i know desktops work better all round for sl but im not a fan of sitting at a desk. OK so basically my question is will SL run efficiently with those specs.....im not fussed about running on ultra or high settings..as iv only ever ran on low with crappy intel integrated graphics(how i can even log onto sl right now i dont know lol) Even running on mid will be an improvement. Im slightly worried about buying it and seeing no improvement in the graphic quality..its on sale for 600euros...still alot of money to waste. Any help appreciated :)

i have thought about that myself....figured it was a low end radeon card...and i wasnt impressed with the i3 processor either....now that youve said it i probably wont buy this one. im going to look on the pc world,currys & harvery norman websites now.....il go to dublin to buy it if i have to. i had thought of buying it online but wasnt sure i should trust not seeing what im buying..but il look into that too now. my budget can be anything once i save enough...iv currently got 700 but can save longer if need be. thanks alot for the advice :)

Ariel, I don't hold out much hope of you buying a laptop suitable for gaming in a retail store here in Ireland, even in Dublin. PC World, Currys (owned by PC World) and Harvey Norman are all a few km from me and while I've seen a few laptops that have low mid range discrete graphics cards there, they seem more and more just supplying laptops with Intel HD 4000 chipsets.

Online, you could get a Dell XPS15 with an i5 processor and 2GB Nvidia 640M graphics card for €1,269.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-15-l521x/pd?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

All the Dell 15R and Z just seem to have HD 4000 chipsets.

There is better value to be found and I'd suggest you look online in the UK too. In a recent gaming laptop test in Custom PC, the Scan 3XS Graphite LG10 came out on top but it costs more than £1,000 now I think with an i7 quad core processor and a Radeon HD 7970M graphics card but that may be too expensive. Scan do cheaper alternatives and I see a Scan 3XS Graphite LX5 with a i3 processor and 2GB Nvidia 650M graphics card on the ie site for £599 (why sterling on the ie site is beyond me!) and it's also on the UK site for £589.93 (slight difference in VAT I expect)

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=48

http://www.scan.ie/shop/pro-gaming

Scan have a very good reputation.

EDIT: oops sorry, the LX5 is an 11.6" laptop, the 15.6" LX10 is £999.98

Orca Flotta wrote:

I always wonder how people end up with crappy machinery. Even the cheaper laptops are still a considerable investment so at least a little bit of market reasearch isn't asked too much or is it? For 600 €urobucks you can get far superior machines. Also I wonder why ppl purchase just about any laptop first and only then thinking about how to access SL with it. SL is one of the more demanding and challenging tasks for every computer system, so if you really wanna go the lappy route please make sure your little thing has some gaming qualities. Google is your friend, so ffs use it! 

Post links if you know of laptops with decent mid range graphics cards for €600.

Post links if you know of laptops with decent mid range graphics cards for €600.

Your wish is my command. :smileywink:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/gaming+notebooks

Although I have my eyes on this little gem which I consider the minimum solution for heavy duty SLing:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/notebooks+ohne+windows/msi+ge60+i760m245fd+gaming+notebook

For 800 € you get an i7, nVidia GTX 660, no glare 1920x1080 full HD. Additional RAM is cheap as never before, so for a little over 800 € you get a tough little warrior. This machine comes without a OS, which I consider a plus. No stupid bloatware to worry about and I can install my own Win7 and/or Linux which I plan to do anyway.

thanks girls great info im looking at the sites you both posted......also since i posted this question iv actually ruled out the laptop i was originally thinking of....realised it wasnt good enough for the price....so now iv found this one....if i could get your opinion on it. its €900....but im getting it for €850 if i buy

http://www.toshiba.ie/laptops/satellite/l855/satellite-l855-149/

You're dead set on Toshi are you? Is cool, they are known for good build quality. I dunno the graphics card since me's a nVidia fangirl, but that Radeon is prolly running SL beautifully. What bothers me a bit about that lappy is the resolution of 1366x768, which isn't very hi res and far off today's HD standards. Oh and the screen seems to be of the vanity mirror kind so have fun when working outdoors or when curtains are open.

Anyway, I guess there's not much wrong with that machine. The perfect laptop still needs to be made and it would be unreasonably expensive.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.