How and when will mesh upload rights start working?

Reik Zhora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The short answer is that you have to have payment info on file to upload mesh because that's what LL have decided.   You might well disgree with the reasoning behind the decision, just as you might disagree with lots of other decisions they've taken, but it's their grid and that's how they've decided they want to run it.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

The short answer is that you have to have payment info on file to upload mesh because that's what LL have decided.   You might well disgree with the reasoning behind the decision, just as you might disagree with lots of other decisions they've taken, but it's their grid and that's how they've decided they want to run it.

• Like 1

Yes unfortunately you need the payment information. And yes it also is one of the ways to get to you in case of copyright infringements or financial issues. The data you can provide as user information for your avatar can be pretty  obfuscated and simple contain whatever fake names, addresses etc.
Even when you registered for mature content with 'a' passport  - this one could have been not yours.

(PS: also yes: when something becomes an official lawsuit, providers of services like this one here can be forced by the court to hand over a users data in certain cases)

Everywhere where money flows it is way easier to track you back. Because at some point in the line of transactions there will be a handover to you / or from you. 

Aside from that ( and yet still a part of the above) for uploading meshes you will need Linden. And mostly more then just the 10 L for the normally uploaded Image. So basically you need payment information to get that kind of money onto there. (unless you keep borrowing it or getting donations from other people all the time)

And even if you would 'earn' that money by selling products you made in SL with their basic prims and textures you could find inside of SL (meaning never uploaded anything yourself, never used money transfers) then it comes again down to the subject 'to get to you' because when you 'earn' money even if just virtually and even if you never transferred it to your personal bank account  - but yet you 'could' at any given point - so it is 'income' and hereby might reach the interest of the state, and other organizations  for paying taxes etc. Thus there needs to be some way to track you  and the money back.

In legal terms no one cares if you access this money in real life or not. Income is income. (even though in 99% you won't have anyone bothering you because the amount is too low for being of interest. But all the 'could's' are making the difference here)

But in general  - especially when planning on making money out of it. You would need payment info most likely anyways.

A) to afford the uploads (unless - as said -  you can get all that being donated / borrowed by others, or financed by sells of default items) and b) to potentially access what you earned outsides of SL. 

About the tutorial / survey:  I am successfully registered for mesh uploads and using it on a daily basis - and yet still when I return to the survey page I could just start the whole survey again. (it brings it up all new and fresh) there appears to be some issues with that page.

Also in the testgrid (which you will need a lot in order to save real linden dollars by uploading and testing your meshes over there until they are ready for the upload into main sl), where you need to do that survey again to be able to upload meshes - there are some issues with even getting that survey opened. (I had to fiddle my way through the forums until I found a valid link where I'd manually go to and do the survey). 

It's a known issue and in the JIRA bugtracker, and will hopefully be resolved soon.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.