Photoshop halp! D:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OKAY. I have been trying for the last hour and a half to find any little tidbit in any tutorial that will show me how to work with multiple layers while painting directly on the 3d model in CS6.
I know there has to be a way, I just can't for the life of me find it. 
Any help will be muccchhh appreciated. <3

It is pretty simple and works just like layers in regular photoshop. I am not sure exactly what problem you are having, but here is some simple solutions to problems I had when first learning how to draw on 3D models in Photoshop:

1. Your version of Photoshop has the be Extended to work with 3D models. I cannot stress this enough. Look at your version of Photoshop, it has to be CS6 Extended to work. If you do not know how to check this, just downlad the avatar .OBJ files from the wiki at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials. It is the top download on the list. Once you have the file, if you have the correct version of CS6 Extended, the .OBJ file should open in photoshop in full 3D just by double-clicking it. If you get some sort of error, you do not have the correct version. Photopshop CS6 and CS6 Extended are two different things.

2. Once you are sure that you have the correct version of Photoshop, all you need is the official Avatar .OBJ and .MTL file to start drawing on it. You can learn about how to do that here: http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/PhotoshopTuts/PhotoTutPages/CS4-3D-1_Open.html. Though this tutorial uses an older version of Photoshop Extended, the basics are all there, you just have to learn the UI differences by yourself, which are not that complaicated.

3. If you need a 3D model to draw on, first download the official Avatar .OBJ file from the link in point 1. Upload the Avatar .OBJ file into Blender first and then export the the Avatar into a new .OBJ file to your computer. Then you can open the new Avatar .OBJ in Photoshop to set up and work with. If you do not do this Blender step and just directly open the official model in Photoshop, it will be broken and cannot be drawn on effectively.

• Like 1

Robin Woods have some tutorials on how to paint on the 3D model in Blender.  I have watched Robin's over and over and  still find them  pretty confusing.  I found the following to be much more helpful to me...but was written for CS 4 or 5 Extend.   CS 6 Extended was upgraded but the tools are not that fab still...the principles still work with CS6

Robin has Blender tutorials?  Since when?  Got any links, Morgaine?  I'd be interested to see her take on it.  All I see on her site are the Photoshop, LightWave, and SL tutorials that have been there forever, plus some Bryce ones I hadn't noticed before.

Personally, I really like her other tutorials, but I can see how they wouldn't be perfect for everybody.  The video you linked looks quite good, as well.  Neither are really how I would approach the subject, so sooner or later, I'll have to do a series of my own.  (I still need to write that Photoshop book I've been back-burning for years, too.)

As for what you said about PS's tools being "not that fab", I can't disagree when it comes to the camera controls, and model manipulation controls.  They're pretty silly.  However, the fact that you've got all of Photoshop's other painting and editing tools at your disposal is nothing to slouch at.  No other 3D paint program's tools can equal them.  It's just a shame that Adobe got the 3D interface so wrong.

For what it's worth, I use a combination of Mudbox and Photoshop for all of my 3D painting these days.  Mudbox has the superior 3D interface, and is much faster to use.  However, Photoshop is still much better for thing like cloning and healing, and also has better anti-aliasing.  If I absolutely had to pick just one 3D paint program, Mudbox would win by a mile.  But since I don't have to do that, the two of them together fill in each other's weak points really well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.