Chewing on CHUI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Chui.jpg

tabbed 1.JPG

tabbed 2.JPG

I have now added the above screen shots with these comments to CHUI Observations JIRA (pops).

First off, In the CHUI window, if there are NO conversations present, the Resident picker tab is GREYED OUT. This means I have to go down to the people tab, select someone or a group and start a conversation with them in order to make the resident picker active. This is unnecessary added steps. Secondly, once the Resident picker is open, If I go to friends, It does not tell me which friends are On Line. Friends On Line needed to at least be highlighted if not moved to the top. I should not be forced to go to another window. This is a huge oversight.

Regarding the tabbed browsing, see the two attached screen shots, Tabbed 1 & 2. I don't have to open a separate window to see my friends or my groups. A third tab could be added for people nearby.

Bottom line is you are making us do more work and open more windows needlessly to get from point A to point B.

Lastly, I want to comment once more on the removal of the chat bar. Many, if not all of us use Command Line to navigate through Second Life. If I want to go home, I simply type shift/ctrl/h, etc, etc. Also many people use gestures which are activated by a command line. Having to open up the chat window for what is currently a very simple thing now adds more work again. This does not make life simpler for us, it makes it harder.

See it big is good, but keep it simple is better.  :)

Grumpity Engineer has replied to some of the comments left in CHUI Observations in the JIRA.

This was my response to him:

Thank you for your comments Grumpity.

The point here we are making is that this UI does not really take into account what is important to the majority of us when we open the Chat window. The first and most important thing I want to see is my friends On Line. Secondarily groups. This should be up front and center as in the old UI. Everything else is peripheral to that. The current UI puts on the periphery what really are the most important things to the majority of residents, and honestly, that is backwards thinking.

I also want to clarify my comment about the Chat Bar and command line. I know command line is not dependent on the chat bar. What I was referring to was channel communications. Many scripted objects use this. My Fire place in my home: I type 'fire on' or 'fire off' My security system. I show and hide attachments with it. To have to open the entire Chat window to enter a channel command is just plain silly. And it is just as needless as when all I want to do is communicate in Open Chat. So please, at least as an option, bring back the Chat Bar. Pretty Please.

Perrie can you start a CHUI JIRA that specific deal with Quick Chatbar please

bc you right about gesture and script channel triggers and general quick public chat

a Quick Chatbar that docks on bottom button bar. popup / pop down to CHUI

like if we want public chat history then pop up to CHUI. pop down to bottom button bar for quick public chat and triggers

and can it be resizable

+

I would make JIRA myself but I type like crap and use a zillion words for every one that maybe tell the story simpler (:

I will come and support if you do

+

add:

is not necessary to ask for autosize or align. bc if can put on button bar then put on left and resize/stretch manually to fill the gap to left edge of screen

16 wrote:

Perrie can you start a CHUI JIRA that specific deal with Quick Chatbar please

bc you right about gesture and script channel triggers and general quick public chat

a Quick Chatbar that docks on bottom button bar. popup / pop down to CHUI

like if we want public chat history then pop up to CHUI. pop down to bottom button bar for quick public chat and triggers

and can it be resizable

+

I would make JIRA myself but I type like crap and use a zillion words for every one that maybe tell the story simpler (:

I will come and support if you do

+

add:

is not necessary to ask for autosize or align. bc if can put on button bar then put on left and resize/stretch manually to fill the gap to left edge of screen

Grumpity stated they would be addressing the issues in that JIRA so there would be no need to start a new one.  May I suggest that you add your voice there and ask if the issue needs a separate JIRA.  Then if we need to I will unless someone else beats me to it.  I don't want to open a new one just to have it closed. 

The more voices there are the more they will understand it's importance to us.

16 wrote:

ok dok done (:

have to wait and see what happens now. fingers crossed xxxxx (:

Very good post there in the JIRA.

Based on this comment in CHUIBUG-80 (pops)

I think they are begining  to see there are some serious design flaws in the UI that really need to be adressed or there are going to be a lot of unhappy campers.

"Grumpity ProductEngine added a comment - 04/Mar/13 5:37 PM

There's been a lot of feedback about this. Organizing."

Perrie Juran wrote:

added a comment -
04/Mar/13 5:37 PM

There's been a lot of feedback about this. Organizing."

this a good thing. like is encouraging

+

what it shows up is that Project viewers don't get much attention from us generally. is when new stuff hits the official Beta that we get way more involved. mostly bc some project viewers never go anywhere and we not really want to waste our time maybe

but when it hit Beta then we know that if we say nothing then linden will roll over to official release. so we get way more involved at that point. so linden could think about that a bit more in their budgeting. and how can they get us to be involved earlier

maybe linden can try insert a new point: like project -> alpha -> beta -> release. like then we know that we can come in a bit earlier at the Alpha stage knowing that whatever involvement we do have will go to Beta. and not just maybe. like how is now with project -> beta -> release

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

While it is nice to see so many of you adding to CHUIBUG-60 (which I raised way back in December) it would be best if you raise new ideas/issues/bugs as seperate JIRA entries in the CHUIBUG project.   This makes it a lot easier for the CHUI team to address them.

When you used the title "Observations" for CHUIBUG-60, I may have in my mind added the word "general" to it, i.e., "General Observations."  While it may be harder for the Dev's to sort through our comments when we reply in such a manner, for many of us it is simpler to respond that way.  But you are right, if too many issues, etc get added to your JIRA, it will become totally unmanageable for the Dev's.

The way I feel about CHUI as it exists right now is that it again shows a disconnect between the Dev's and the way Residents live/use SL/The Viewer.

The CHUI GUI as it currently exists looks like "let's build a box and attach as many features to it as we can."  The end result is that it is making what were common simple tasks more complicated.

It leaves me with the feeling that the Dev's are in serious need of sitting down with some Residents and simply watch over our shoulder to learn how we use SL.  If any of them have their own In World Persona that they actually live In World with when they aren't working, it certainly isn't obvious from all the design flaws we see.  They sure as hell wouldn't have removed the Chat Bar.

Agreed, the CHUI is certainly not perfect. I think it's generally a step in the right direction, but I expect (as in "expect as a paying customer") that it'll get improvements as time passes. To that end, having a viewable, public JIRA for it is a boon - IF it stays public and viewable.

Personally, if I had to make the call - I'd hire Hitomi to help with the UI design.

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

While it is nice to see so many of you adding to CHUIBUG-60 (which I raised way back in December) it would be best if you raise new ideas/issues/bugs as seperate JIRA entries in the CHUIBUG project.   This makes it a lot easier for the CHUI team to address them.

Ciaran Laval made a JIRA about the chat bar. about the same time I post on your one. so I just Watch his one now. sorry about mess up your one (:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CHUIBUG-124

16 wrote:

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

Ciaran Laval made a JIRA about the chat bar. about the same time I post on your one. so I just Watch his one now. sorry about mess up your one (:

You did nothing to mess it up.  Your comments were great!

I did add what I am hoping were my final comments:

"I am thinking that these may be my last comments here. I am really hoping that we hear the Chat Bar is being brought back.

It's really a shame that you aren't able to sit and watch over our shoulders as we use Second Life so you could see how we use it on a daily basis. Then you would understand what is important to us.

I was looking today and saw that Torley's introductory video

has had less than 4,000 views. That is appalling and is the Lab's Fault for not doing a better job of communicating. You'd have a lot more comments here if they did."

When I think how many residents there are and that there have been less than 4,000 views it really does make me shake my head.  And Linden Lab wonders why they can't retain more new users!  Incredible.

I think LL presumes that everyone reads the forums or uses the Dashboard. To be honest, of the handful or so people I know in RL that use SL... I'm the only one who uses it. Even within SL, most people there find out about changes the day they hit them in the face.

And you're entirely right, that is indeed mostly LLs fault. The viewer has a homepage on log in, drastic changes like these should be announced there and TPVs should mandatorily have to display an "important messages" feed.

On the other hand I am not sure a discussion with all residents is terribly useful. Ten people have at least twenty opinions.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I just got notified of a developer
on CHUIBUG-99 and downloaded the new build. Only just started running it, but it looks good so far. (This specifically about retaining content in the CHUI hub window when focus shifts to a torn-off chat window.)

This is very good to hear.  Right now I don't feel like using another test Viewer.

I'm in need of some fun time, not tech time in SL.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.