BLENDER Question!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello..

I've been in SL for a long time now and been building alot, and now decided to try on sculpting with blender.. i somehow succeded in making a nice sculpt, BUT i have no idea to save it into a sculptmap for SL. I know it should be a TGA file but how to do it? I use Blender 2.6 and i would appreciate if anyone could share a link on how o do it or give me a quick tutorial.

//Magicnova

There are several solutions to this, but the one I use is "JASS" which is a nice set of software that extends blender to support making sculpties.

The easiest way to get it is to go to your map viewer in second life and search for "JASS". Go to JASS island and there you can find the different versions available. I suggest you start with the free one and test the waters out, and if you like it and plan on doing more sculpting, buy one of the versions that suits your needs.

I say that because the group behind JASS has contributed a great deal to blender for second life, and they deserve our support. In my opinion of course :)

Good luck!

As Fizz said JASS is one good solution.

Edit: (for a an up to date link and more informations about 'JASS' see also Gaias comment)

But maybe with the now implemented Mesh Support you possibly want to think about skipping sculpties completely and directly upload your model as mesh as you have way more control especially over its LOD (level of detail) in certain view distances and much more. And you are not limited to the rather quirky way and requirements sculpties have to be made (due to them being as texture with height information). Such as having parts where vertices are not merged (like 2 pipes sticking into one another etc- which has to be made in a rather uncomfortable manner when it comes to sculpties)

And also allows you to use way different amounts of vertices then the required values that sculpties need to have.

If you need help on the mesh subject there is a lot helpful posts in this forum, and also feel free to ask at anytime.

Greets, Code

Codewarrior Congrejo wrote:

As Fizz said JASS is one good solution, and also is Primstar : 
(the latter is for free)

both solutions provide huge amounts of tutorials and help and give you all needed tools at hand to export your models as sculptie textures for SL.

Maybe a word of clarification is needed here. Apologize if i am going too far but i a really only want to clarify and not advertise! I hope that is ok.

First of all the link which you posted points to the "domino scripts". These scripts are the very first implementation for sculpted prims which ever showed up for Blender (as far as i know) and this release was made for Blender 2.4. The scripts are meanwhile outdated.

Later Domino created primstar-1, still for blender 2.49. Primstar-1 is a first refinement of the original domino scripts still made only for blender 2.4. You can get Primstar-1 for free from the Jass shop. Note that primstar-1 is officially only distributed from the jass-shop. You won't find it on Domino's website. The last available version is Primstar-1.1.0 Primstar-1 is no longer maintained since 2 years.

All jass-products are based on Primstar-1 thus the Jass products are available only for Blender 2.49. You find one free version and 2 "commercial" versions in the Jass shop. Jass was created mostly by me but with the help of Domino and another developer. Jass is no longer developed since 18 months. Note that blender 2.49 is also not further developed since about 3 years.

The new products we (Domino, Magus and myself) provide are Primstar-2 for Sculpted prims and Avastar-1 for mesh based character creations. They are available for Blender 2.6. If you want to know more about these products, then google is your friend :)

Heya Gaia, 

yeah you caught me here -  i grabbed the first link i still had in my bookmarks for Domino / Primstar. Thanks for updating it. 

And don't worry about advertisment -  i think i already made enough advertisement for you guys by pointing users to Avastar or your tutorial series on youtube. I found them very helpfull to forward  for beginners because they explain everything very clear and understandable ; )
(and it spares my time explaining every little step ^^)

For myself i don't really use or need them i am modeling long enough to know how to setup an own rig for me and i rather like to create my own topology then using predefined meshes. But i do love what you did with the creation Avastar it sure looks like a solid solution for everybody who wants to create solid models for SL without going through the hurdle to setup and understand everything on their own. Plus i have seen you added also the male model, the shapekeys, and animation to it.

Keep up the great work !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.