Banned for a ridiculous reason?

CAPAL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CAPAL wrote:

Hello everyone, some days ago, I have been banned from a certain sim (I do not want to specify which one) and I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.

Okay, this is what has happened:

There is this sim I had been visiting regularly, it was a nice place, it has a good design and you can have some great conversations with some people there. All in all a nice place to hang around.

This place has a large sitting area where the people are meeting, but the sim has one rule that says, that only a specific type of people is allowed to sit on the chairs.

Well, I didn't take this rule too serious, and because I had been sitting on one of their chairs, the sim owner simply banned from that place.

My opinion:

I personally think, that this is a really ridiculous reason to get banned for. I didn't insult anyone there, I didn't harass anyone there (which are the real reasons to ban people for) and I didn't harm anyone there in any other way, besides of sitting on a chair :matte-motes-smile:

In my opinion, it is a childish behaviour to ban people because of this. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to hear you thoughts on this incident.

I can't imagine what type of people were allowed to sit on the chairs but, judging solely by what you've said, I agree that it was a ridiculous reason for banning someone.

My thinking is this. We all know that a land owner can ban whoever s/he wants to ban, and for any reason whatsoever, but that's not what the OP was asking. The OP was asking about the "ridiculous reason" and, to my way of thinking, allowing anyone to be there, but only certain types of avatars to sit on chairs, is ridiculous - at face value, which is all we have from the OP's post. So, on face value, banning the wrong type of avatar just for sitting on a chair is ridiculous, imo.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP never said. but can pretty much guess that it was a throne. in a throne room on a roleplay sim

that will get anyone other than the king/queen/chief/leader an instaban by one of the guard

edit: specially when like OP said. they make a habit of doing it. just bc they think they can

Phil Deakins wrote:

S/he used the word "chairs" - plural. It could be what you said though but, judging only by what the OP wrote, it does sound like a ridiculous reason to ban someone.

yes on the surface. OP been a bit clever tho in how they been arguing it. so we kinda move onto redheads. which more fun judging by the number of posts chatting about that instead (:

+

edit: about the chair/chairs. could be a elders/council circle or something like that. is more to this than OP letting on 

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

how can i be lap dancing and sit at the same time ?

you defo need get out more SL. like all them SL creators who make wiggle chairs and stools will start crying if they hear you say that

not that I got any experience on them myself. I just seen them in the magazines (:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I love 1920s Berlin.  

Me too! I've been and had a wonderful time each time. They even provide free clothes to change into so I don't know how much farther out of their way they could go to accomodate visitors, but some still have problems with it I guess.

You said it so much nicer than I did. Lol. I get feisty on topics like this one. I don't know if anyone remembers but in the old forums, when the Berlin sim had just opened, Jo was attacked in a long thread for the sim policies. IIRC the tide was a bit against her and not very polite in there. Some of us came to her defense, even if in theory; then some began to make suggestions; she kept her cool throughout it. Now of course everybody has heard of the sim and/or visited it, but I would have to say a calm demeanor is one thing required for a sim owner's longevity in SL - if not also their sanity!

Oh I would not react well to this type of ultimatum if I were the sim owner, but that's probably why I don't run a club. If people pay they feel they have an entitlement to make their own rules and be special and not do what others must do. Even though the tip might go to only the staff or DJ or not even come close to 1/100 of the tier for that month. To me that just is not worth the headache. Why would you berate the sim owenr when you knew the rules before you went?

Why do male or female only venues upset you? And if so why do you still go? But then I think that also should not be an issue in real life. I think everyone needs occasionally to rest with their own type, whether that grouping is by gender, hobby or whatever. But in real life people sue so men can attend women only gyms and women reporters can hang around in male locker rooms while they have to change clothes. I just find it a tempest in a teapot. Why not just go somewhere else instead of raising a ruckus and depriving others of their solace? I honestly don't understand so maybe you can take time to explain it to me. Or not. :)

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

i just went straight to the owner and simply told him the truth:

"I am here for the dj, i tip him, i tip the host and some times i tip the donation box. You want to have a successfull venue? you need need attendies and not a bad name, so if it`s a problem that a female walks in here once every few months and you have a problem with it, then i feel sorry for you, but if you ban me for just being a female and prevent me from attending a dj i follow for some time. i will name your place and nail it to the wall so high you need an extra attachement to get it off"

Male/female only bs with public events, still ticks me off...

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

I manage an estate where I've had to ask people to obey the rules or leave and been greeted with all sorts of rude responses 

Sorry for posts in a row but that's the quote function in this board at work. Can't do it more than once per post! Can't copy paste and click 'quote' for a quote box.

Anyway, that's the thing a lot of visitors don't understand, maybe until they've been in the owner's shoes. Aside from the work and money (a good sim can easliy run into $10,000 after a few years operation, unless they built it all themselves and even then, their time is worth something, plus still staff or other costs and of course tier), the name calling and hassles from visitors.

A lot of people want to be that one special snowflake, but if everyone is a special snowflake the sim is buried under a blizzard. Now all their time, money and effort and the same from staff is lost. For what? So someone can feel self satisfied they got away with something? Because they didn't want to read the rules, or follow them, or take a minute to change or add clothes on their avatar? Now to me that's what is silly...

(To the topic) But as to why the person might not get a warning first or an IM. First, they might have but they ignored it. Second, usually the rules card is considered the fair warning, on many sims. Third, as Jo said, if it's an event or a busy day on the sim, the sim owner might have already had that conversation and be sick of it. There were days I would watch one totally naked avatar after the next, attachment complete, with nudist tag on their head, come to the sim I ran. They came to add clothes, not change them. After explaining it over and over the same day, or trying to send the rules card to someone who declined it after they walked right past the rules giver, yeah I'd occasionally just eject. Depending if they were willing to then listen or not, they could come back or not. 

And then that's not even going into the people who begin to grief or call you or your staff names because you ask the same of them as of every person who comes to the place. I have to think their parents let them get away with murder and now they expect that from everyone in the world, virtual or not? But there is only so many times a person can be called a filthy name in one day before they lose their patience with begging people to act like a grownup. Then they might let the eject button do the talking for a while. Fair? Maybe not but I think it is understandable.

Never once called someone a name or cursed at them or yelled at them despite all of the above, and I know there is a learning curve when people first join. But a lot of these decisions on busy days have to be made quickly. If someone is causing havoc yes I recommend the eject option; that's what it is there for. Why? Because it isn't only that visitor the owner is concerned with, but also those who are trying to enjoy the place.

16 wrote:

I been eject/ban from all kinds places for NOTHING !!!

I get banned from all parcels on each side for driving along the linden roadway

I get banned bc I was jumping up and down at this dance place. and not dancing sideways

I get banned from a beach bc apparently I am ugly avatar. like not naked enough to drool over

I get eject by more orbs than I can count bc I am a pervert seems like

I get banned bc I was inspect this building that some one was making

I get banned for ask someone where they get their hair from. like they actual stole it and I was being cheeky

I get freeze and eject because I said hi to this random person on their land. lol

and on and on and on. I think I am pretty much the mostest banned ejected person evah ever. like ever

+

is terrrrrrible. should be a law against this. like I should be allowed to have some kinda special sign over my head. like DO NOT BAN ME. I DONE NOTHING TO YOU  or something

jejejejeeje (:

I thought you said that you live in a Bubble?

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

There are chairs and there are chairs. Sometimes these things are important
o.O

OMG that made me laugh Cerise!! 

To the OP.  I Have to agree with the rest,  The sim owner has full power, and within his right to ban anyone.  I learned this too when I was very new.   Don't take this in a negative way.  Just learn from it and move on.  And have a great weekend!

Peace!

squashy Beeswing wrote:

You broke the rules, so what did you expect to happen?  The sim owner pays for that space so she can lay down any rules she wants.  She can be a total dictator if she chooses.

Yup!  Think of it this way!  Sim owner = King/Queen.  One of them have the magic button.

Peace!

Perrie Juran wrote:

I do !!!

is just that my bubble move a lot. like gets carried by the wind of whims wherever whenever. like all over

and is all these intruders trying to climb in my bubble all the time. they got no soap either most the time. well is maybe not true most the time. just might be and seems like (:

pink-bubbles.gif

16 wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I do !!!

is just that my bubble move a lot. like gets carried by the wind of whims wherever whenever. like all over

and is all these intruders trying to climb in my bubble all the time. they got no soap either most the time. well is maybe not true most the time. just might be and seems like (:

well, if it's soap bubbles you want................i'll take a bath first.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

yes but still not really clear to me :smileywink:

how can i be lap dancing and sit at the same time ?

oh well, i will sit on Czari's lap then... :smileywink:

Once we find out where this illusive chair is, we can go together and figure it out. ;)

I would agree the rule was ridiculous if it was just some generic sim with a "Whatever you do, don't sit it *that* chair" policy.  From my experience in SL, however, as other posters have mentioned, this may very well have been in a Gorean, BDSM, D/S, Medieval, etc. sim where "the chair" was for a particular person or group of people in the rp.

One sim with which I was familiar early in my SL (a rp sim) held weekly meetings in an area designed for such.  There was a platform up front and each chair on it was for a designated person according to his/her "rank" - Administrator, Assistant Administrator, then others who had been designated or elected to certain positions.  I never saw any written "rule" about not sitting in those chairs, but it was common knowledge amongst the regulars and would have been considered rude to do so.  OTOH, this group was so large that there was at least one or more people at the tp in area to greet guests, answer questions, and offer tours.  If a guest wished to attend a function, they were in the company of of one of the residents and wearing a visitor's tag so no "chair-hopping" would have been done. *Grins*

The OP did not designate "why" the rules were in place, just that he knew they were.  I have a feeling that this now renowned chair fits one of the above scenarios.

Phil Deakins wrote:

S/he used the word "chairs" - plural. It could be what you said though but, judging only by what the OP wrote, it does sound like a ridiculous reason to ban someone.

Exactly - judging only by what the OP wrote.  There is a lot of the story left out here.

Melita Magic wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I love 1920s Berlin.  

Me too! I've been and had a wonderful time each time. They even provide free clothes to change into so I don't know how much farther out of their way they could go to accomodate visitors, but some still have problems with it I guess.

You said it so much nicer than I did. Lol. I get feisty on topics like this one. I don't know if anyone remembers but in the old forums, when the Berlin sim had just opened, Jo was attacked in a long thread for the sim policies. IIRC the tide was a bit against her and not very polite in there. Some of us came to her defense, even if in theory; then some began to make suggestions; she kept her cool throughout it. Now of course everybody has heard of the sim and/or visited it, but I would have to say a calm demeanor is one thing required for a sim owner's longevity in SL - if not also their sanity!

1920s Berlin was recently featured on "Designing Worlds" on Treet.TV - an amazing piece and well worth the watching.  I had no idea how many wonderful additions are there since my last visit - can't wait to go again.

http://treet.tv/shows/designingworlds/episodes/berlin

Melita Magic wrote:

But there is only so many times a person can be called a filthy name in one day before they lose their patience with begging people to act like a grownup. Then they might let the eject button do the talking for a while. Fair? Maybe not but I think it is understandable.

Now there's where you're much more patient than I - the first filthy name directed at me on a parcel I own and the offender is history.  But then, I'm a redhead and we've already discussed within this thread that angering a redhead can be dangerous. ;)

OTOH, redheads appear to be in demand for lap-sitting! :smileyvery-happy:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

16 wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

so, who was allowed in the chairs?

redheads and lap dancers so far seems like

I still haven't heard where these chairs were located.  Redheads want to know.
;)

me either. I think OP not saying bc wants to own the redhead chair and not share. is a bit mean that I think. not sharing

and ... like how do OP know they got the right redheads for a start. they maybe only got bottle ones and not natural redheads

be a bit sad that

like you think you got the only redhead sitting chair in all SL and not got any natural redheads

probly turn out to be quite lonely really if try to make sure. bc if start checking hair roots then nobody will want to sit on you. or let you sit on them. don't matter what color hair they got. can most times get only a slap in the moosh if try do that and no sitting on

not unless you a hairdresser or go to the hairdresser lots. don't have to check hair roots then. can tell a bottle job from across the road round the corner and down past the bus stop (:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I would agree the rule was ridiculous if it was just some generic sim with a "Whatever you do, don't sit it *that* chair" policy.  From my experience in SL, however, as other posters have mentioned, this may very well have been in a Gorean, BDSM, D/S, Medieval, etc. sim where "the chair" was for a particular person or group of people in the rp.

One sim with which I was familiar early in my SL (a rp sim) held weekly meetings in an area designed for such.  There was a platform up front and each chair on it was for a designated person according to his/her "rank" - Administrator, Assistant Administrator, then others who had been designated or elected to certain positions.  I never saw any written "rule" about not sitting in those chairs, but it was common knowledge amongst the regulars and would have been considered rude to do so.  OTOH, this group was so large that there was at least one or more people at the tp in area to greet guests, answer questions, and offer tours.  If a guest wished to attend a function, they were in the company of of one of the residents and wearing a visitor's tag so no "chair-hopping" would have been done. *Grins*

The OP did not designate "why" the rules were in place, just that he knew they were.  I have a feeling that this now renowned chair fits one of the above scenarios.

Yes, but the OP didn't tell us anything about the scenario so, judging only by what the OP did say, which implied to me that it was just chairs - any chairs - it was a ridiculous reason for banning.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Exactly - judging only by what the OP wrote.  There is a lot of the story left out here.

I agree. I've only posted about what the OP did say.

well the ridiculous thing is smth subjective.

What can be seen as ridiculous aswell can be that the OP knew the rules and still, as a challenge, broke them and then complain about the result.

I admit i would have been tempted too to sit on the chair (bec indeed such rule seems weird) but then i would certainly not have complained about the the banning.

Action/Reaction. You play, you loose. its part of the rules of the game if you know the rule before siting. Then nothing to complain about it.

It would have been completely different if the rule wasnt known. But here, it was known.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.