Banned for a ridiculous reason?

CAPAL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CAPAL wrote:

Ren Toxx wrote:

CAPAL wrote: [...] 
Could
we
please go back to the original topic [...] ?

[...]

Are 'we' indeed discussing the issue, Capal, or were you just waiting for someone to somehow validate your action and ignore the rest? Because if you just wanted back-patting, perhaps you could just say so :smileywink:

Of course I am trying to take part in the discussion, I just thought that I would would have written my opinion in the first post, but I guess I was wrong.

I am of course not looking for someone who is validating my opinion :matte-motes-smile:  I am just curious about your thoughts. Even if I would look for someone who agrees to me, it wouldn't change anything in the end.

In general: I am really trying to write about this topic in polite and friendly way, but it looks like some people here are hating me for my personal opinion about this incident.

"Hating" is a very strong term.  And while I can't speak for anyone else here, I seriously doubt that any one is "hating you."  I'm sure not.

However what you have done is ask us to pass judgement on a rule...a rule that you think is trivial.  Truth is we don't know if it's trivial.  We don't know the reasons for the rule.  And even if the reason was in our opinion trivial, it would still be the SIM owners right to ban you.   

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize, "hate" is really a strong term (I guess I should have chosen another weaker word for that).

Of course it is the sim owner's rule and I have broke that rule. But I did not break it in order to annoy anyone there. In my opinion, it simply doesn't make any sense to have a rule like this.

Maybe I should really face this with a more relaxed opinion.

If your question is about the rule set by the sim owner, I think most concluded that without knowing the circumstances it seems like a silly rule.  If you are questioning the reason for the ban, then it is clearly because you broke a rule, and it really does not matter what the rule is, the sim owner is justified in banning whomever for whatever reason.  If you don't want someone in your house, and they don't have the legal authority to stay without your permission, then you ask them to leave and show them the door.  

We see these types of threads all the time here.  You have been treated very kindly.  This has even turned into a delightful thread and people are having fun.  Others have not been so lucky.  

Find another sim, there are plenty, and mind the rules!

CAPAL wrote:

indeed. and you ll see,  in some times youll even laugh about this story lol...

There are plenty plenty of places were rules are less strict and where you will be able to sit lol. and if you happen to come in my small public garden lol, i promise i wont ban you for siting somewhere. At least till you dont sit on my lap. . :smileywink: (neither my redhead friend :smileywink:)...(sorry i couldnt resist.... but well, i ve never banned someone for having sit on a chair, and i wont start today)

PS : (note that if you reach flying to my private skybox btw, youll be ejected in some seconds by my orb lol)

Perrie Juran wrote:

CAPAL wrote:

Could we please go back to the original topic and stop discussing about people with red hair? :matte-motes-smile:

Let me see if I can remember the story so far.

You were visting a SIM.

You saw a Redhead sitting in a chair.

You sat in her lap with out asking permission.

The Redhead (who also happened to be the SIM owner's wife) got really upset.

She said something to her husband.

Upon seeing you in his wife's lap he banned you from his SIM.

But now you are feeling bad because you have a bad case of the hots for the SIM owners wife and really want a chance to woo her away from her husband.

Did I get this right?

Love it!!

Perrie Juran wrote:

However what you have done is ask us to pass judgement on a rule...a rule that you think is trivial.  Truth is we don't know if it's trivial.  We don't know the reasons for the rule.  And even if the reason was in our opinion trivial, it would still be the SIM owners right to ban you.   

We don't even know what the rule was.,...  all we got was. "i wasnt supposed to sit there." i want to know why? who was? and what they were that prohibited them from sitting there.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

It's human nature. God says (in myth, folklore, or religion) you can eat anything you want. Anything! Except this one fruit.

What happens? You get banned from Eden.

now wait a minute, you are comparing apples and oranges here.. doesn't fly.

:matte-motes-silly:

Well, i'm an oldie. My thoughts are that sl is just full of this kind of ridiculity and unempathism. I've seen it so often. One day i even had a ban for a question to the hostess of 'Blackhearts' me asking what she had voted rl. Instant ban... Isn't that just too rediculous. She made a game out of it. I've seen her ban everybody for noting. Long time ago i had a ban because i gave somebody a notecard, really silly... but...

Some sim owners or staff play 'i am god here' and make a game of ejecting and banning. Why? I've never understood. However i just think they lack emphaty in rl actually. There are so many ways of saying something, why would anybody think the worst immediately and disgrace somebody.

And somehow there is a difference between rl grace and sl bluntness over nothing and short disdain replies. Why? I suppose sl is just too full of social inadequate and unemphatic people at the keyboard... sl is filled with those... most unfortunate.

Another sim you want to avoid is 'Berlin 1920' Owners and staff are like "Halt Polizei"... yak !! Very, very unfriendly.

Rules are ruls, but we people should have the capacity to actually think as humans, not as apes.
And why should we make a 'hell' in sl as well... Most Sim owners do... unfortunate... Welcome to sl.

Well this you'll have a lot of times in sl. Mind you, most sim owners also blog here, so they will hardly agree... lol

(uhuh i did mention names, against the Tos? Nop...)

We don't actually know what the rule was..

it could have been:

Only a Master can sit in this chair. and they were a slave.

Perhaps it was an RP sim and robots were not allowed in that area.. (IE the mos eisly cantina in star wars)

Perhaps, just perhaps. It was a private residence on that sim and they sat on the couch through a locked door.

Or it could be as simple as he sat in a chair that was not theirs.. IE the captains chair.

The trouble is, we don't know.. why? Because they have not told us.
And i think it is relevant.

ETA fixing a derp pointed out to me by my 8 year old daughter... robots were banned, there were plenty of non humans.

CAPAL wrote:

I apologize, "hate" is really a strong term (I guess I should have chosen another weaker word for that).

Of course it is the sim owner's rule and I have broke that rule. But I did not break it in order to annoy anyone there. In my opinion, it simply doesn't make any sense to have a rule like this.

I haven't commented but I have been following along. With this post it appears to me that you actually do get it; prior to this I had my doubts (not that you should give a hoot about my opinion, good or bad). You may very well be perfectly correct that the rule is ridiculous,although others have pointed out that there might be perfectly valid reasons for it. Maybe those chairs are reserved for the contributing founders of the club/sim. Maybe it's an RP thing.

None of that matters. You weren't banned for a ridiculous reason. You were banned for breaking a rule. The rule itself may very well BE ridiculous. Breaking rules is not. The ban was not only well within the sim owner's rights but perfectly legitimate in the jungle that is Second Life.

If you believe the rule to be ridiculous, then do as several people have suggested: avoid the place. Who needs ridiculous rules?

Linda Brynner wrote:

Be prepared for such a mess in sl... Welcome to sl (*rolling my eyes).

Choices remain: how to bring message before any eject or ban... it can be done in many ways... umphatic... emphatic...

SL mostly = umphatic... sadly. It doesn't have to be... really...

what? that made no sense at all.

they had a message... they were told the rules and they broke them.

I been eject/ban from all kinds places for NOTHING !!!

I get banned from all parcels on each side for driving along the linden roadway

I get banned bc I was jumping up and down at this dance place. and not dancing sideways

I get banned from a beach bc apparently I am ugly avatar. like not naked enough to drool over

I get eject by more orbs than I can count bc I am a pervert seems like

I get banned bc I was inspect this building that some one was making

I get banned for ask someone where they get their hair from. like they actual stole it and I was being cheeky

I get freeze and eject because I said hi to this random person on their land. lol

and on and on and on. I think I am pretty much the mostest banned ejected person evah ever. like ever

+

is terrrrrrible. should be a law against this. like I should be allowed to have some kinda special sign over my head. like DO NOT BAN ME. I DONE NOTHING TO YOU  or something

jejejejeeje (:

Ren Toxx wrote:

CAPAL wrote: [...] 
Well, I didn't take this rule too serious [...]

It never,
EVER
fails to amaze me how some people allegedly don't feel the need to take sim rules seriously... but oh, when they're banned for that, they certainly DO take the consequences rather seriously :smileyindifferent: 

This. :)

And do they stop to think it isn't "just them" or "just this once" - but if everyone did the same, the sim stops being the nice place to visit that they liked in the first place. They usually are there because the rules have kept it nice to visit, even if they don't think about it and realize that.

Why was the OP visiting a place repeatedly if they didn't like it? They must've liked something about teh way it was set up. The rules are what kept it like that.

I'm guessing as others have said it was a bdsm or Gor sim or something but it could've been other forms of rp, or some sort of seniority thing who knows. The sim owner probably figured, rightly I'm sure, that the OP had been there often enough to be familiar with how things were run and had seen others be warned not to sit in certain places. So the only reason they would've done so - since avatars don't care where they sit - was to try to provoke a response. 

They got one. :)

CAPAL wrote:

But I did not break it in order to annoy anyone there.
In my opinion, it simply doesn't make any sense to have a rule like this.

So it sounds like you wanted to show them what you thought of their rule. 

And then they showed you what they thought of that. :)

People tend to dislike it when their work is judged or a visitor, who hasn't put in work to build or run the place, and doesn't know the history or workings of it, tells them they know more how to run it than they do. In effect that's what your action said.

"This isn't how to run this place. I'll show you how to run this place. Let people sit anywhere they want." 

Whether it's about where to sit or whether to ask people to bite them or run around naked or whatever, there are reasons, unless the sim owner is completely irrational, for every rule on the card. Often because of bad experiences in the past. In this case it sounds more like a roleplay zone in which case you can't just run around out of character. Ruins the atmosphere for everyone else.

Did any of the replies in this thread make you happier yet? I assume that's why you are here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.