Banned for a ridiculous reason?

CAPAL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, some days ago, I have been banned from a certain sim (I do not want to specify which one) and I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.

Okay, this is what has happened:
There is this sim I had been visiting regularly, it was a nice place, it has a good design and you can have some great conversations with some people there. All in all a nice place to hang around.
This place has a large sitting area where the people are meeting, but the sim has one rule that says, that only a specific type of people is allowed to sit on the chairs.
Well, I didn't take this rule too serious, and because I had been sitting on one of their chairs, the sim owner simply banned from that place.

My opinion:
I personally think, that this is a really ridiculous reason to get banned for. I didn't insult anyone there, I didn't harass anyone there (which are the real reasons to ban people for) and I didn't harm anyone there in any other way, besides of sitting on a chair :matte-motes-smile:
In my opinion, it is a childish behaviour to ban people because of this.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to hear you thoughts on this incident.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sim owners can ban residents for whatever reason they like. They are paying the fees to Linden Lab for their sims, you're not. If you decide to own a sim, you can do what you like, ban all redheads if you want or those who sit on your special chair.

You admit you broke the rules, one you knew about and chose to ignore. You got banned. Send an apologetic note to the owner and ask to be allowed in again. If he or she won't relent, find somewhere else to hang out.

A-You broke a rule, and you did it knowingly at that.

B-I support that land owners have every right to both allow and disallow anyone they want on land they're paying for.

Not agreeing with a rule in place does not mean you're free to do whatever you like. If you don't like the rules don't stay on the land that has them. There are literally thousands upon thousands of sims you can visit. Why bother sticking around on one that has rules you not only think are ridiculous, but intend to break?

It doesn't really matter if anyone thinks a particular rule is ridiculous or not. It's a rule. There are lots of places with rules I find silly, odd and sometimes even downright wrong, for all kinds of reasons. I choose not to go to those places. If I find myself somewhere that has a rule I don't agree with, I leave. It's not as if there aren't a ton of other places I could go, lol. I find intentionally breaking rules to be, quite often, extremely childish.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Prisons are full of people who said "
Well, I didn't take this rule too serious." and then blame their fate on the silliness of those who made and enforced the rule. 

Okay? Are you really comparing me, who broke the rule of sitting on a chair, with a criminal who is in prison?

@ Nyll Bergbahn:  I did apologize, but the owner didn't even react or answer to this. I can ban all redheads from my own place? I did not know that it is allowed to discriminate people in Second Life.

CAPAL wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Well, I didn't take this rule too serious." and then blame their fate on the silliness of those who made and enforced the rule. 

Okay? Are you really comparing me, who broke the rule of sitting on a chair, with a criminal who is in prison?

@
Nyll Bergbahn: 
I did apologize, but the owner didn't even react or answer to this. I can ban all redheads from my own place? I did not know that it is allowed to discriminate people in Second Life.

Yes, it is allowed. Ever had a not 100% human avatar? Have fun to get banned from more than just one sim. Even your avatars gender can be a finde reason for some to ban you. There are no limits in discriminating people as long as it is just about their avatar.

(Ok, I'm pretty sure some places would even ban people for RL reasons, if they only had the options for it...)

As others said you can do nothing, because the owner makes the rules and you broke one. Yes, it sounds silly (but with not knowing what exactly the sim is about...I can't really judge). Also the sim management seems to incredibly poor. You simply don't ban people because of such nonsense and you warn them first and point out what rule they have violated. The simowner couldn't have known if Capal was aware of the chairrule or not.

But well...as they say...give a person power and it will bring up their worst sides.

CAPAL wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

You may think that a rule is ridiculous, but it is still a rule.

CAPAL wrote:

@
Nyll Bergbahn: 
I did apologize, but the owner didn't even react or answer to this. I can ban all redheads from my own place? I did not know that it is allowed to discriminate people in Second Life.

I don't believe that Redheads are a protected class, but from what I have heard, if you anger one, you may be in need of protection.

CAPAL wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "

Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"

Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

You express yourself in a friendly manner on a topic called upon countless of times. You deserve a balanced answer.

Personally I think you underestimate the technical ability to ban and challenging sim-owners with that ability has left you surpised they might act upon their rules. This does not require any moral compass.

You just have to expect to get banned anytime for reasons you might never not be told. You have the right to appeal, but possibilities can be limited to not being able to appeal at all. Not even when contacting Lindenlab about it.

If you willingly challenge sim-rules you simply must expect a ban.

CAPAL wrote:

Well, I didn't take this rule too serious, and because I had been sitting on one of their chairs, the sim owner simply banned from that place.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to hear you thoughts on this incident.

It may seem silly to you, and on the surface it sounds like it is, but we don't know who is allowed to sit in them and why there is a restriction.  Perhaps they are reserved for certain people as a reward of some sort or because they are members of some elite class in a RP.  It really makes no difference.

You went to someone's land that they pay for and didn't respect that or them and showed that disrespect by breaking a simple rule.  You were banned not because you sat in a chair but because you disrespected the owner who didn't have to let you in at all.

Melita Magic wrote:

You knew about the rule and its consequences and you broke it. Simple, no?

yes, you are right, ... but sometimes some rules seems so ridiculous that you think they are not serious ...of course, i know, its not an excuse for breaking them, because they remain being rules, but still.....:smileywink:

CAPAL wrote:

@
Nyll Bergbahn: 

Yes you can ban all redheads from your own sim or parcel.  However, if you know anything at all about redheads, this probably wouldn't be a good idea. :matte-motes-wink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.