Does SL have enough games?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it just me or does it seem that SL could use more games? Theres tons of shopping, tons of role playing, and things like fishing and that but when it comes to games that keep a score and are truely competitive fun with a whimsical style it seems SL is lacking. I do know of Linden Realms and all the arcade games that exist and all but it still doesn't seem like much for such a large platform.

Is it just me not being able to find the games that do exist?

Now I am not thinking of realistic games such as the fishing or role playing. I am thinking of things like super mario and other games with that style. Do games like that exist in sl?

Why should they be in SL....if you get it better with simply playing the already existing games?

I don't think many people log into SL and look for games. Also thinking of how SL sometimes acts up just when driving a normal car...mhm...the gaming-experiance may not be that fun.

SL is hilariously poorly designed for games that require reaction times, rotational/velocity-based accuracy, and limited character skillsets (so, er, most of them). It's impossible to control the player experience in any meaningful way, land is too small and expensive to make building 'levels' practical, and there's no possible way of preventing/limiting cheating. There's also no way to guarantee continuing operation (in the face of bugs or improvements) or consistant behaviour between players (due to differing viewers, connections, inventories).

Every single one of the games developments that I've seen take place in SL (and as a once-professional scripter, that's a few), has had the creators hard work exploited, their IP compromised, their money lost, their games' integrity destroyed, or simply ruined by server/policy changes.

Very few people are willing to take SL seriously as a games platform, and for good reason. It's never worth it.

Never enough games! :)

Many people are playing games in SL, it can be fun, especially if people can play with or against their SL friends directly in-world without having to trade emails or skype info to play on game sites.

As for Super Mario, there are places where you can jump from platform to platform with your avatar and it can be fun too (Electrobit City for example), but if you mean using an in-world 'screen' and sprites, I don't think it does exist. It's technically possible but it would most likely be slow and laggy, so not really worth all the hard work it would require to script it. I don't think SL is ready for things like that yet...

Melita Magic wrote:

It would be nice if SL had more games and quests and such. I don't like violent ones much, though. Something for everyone would be nice. Begin with something light.

I really enjoyed the Pothealer's Quest on Numbakalla.  That kept me occupied for weeks.  The quest consisted of finding and following clues which led all over the sim which was lovely and whimsical.  Along the way there were often some very nice free gifts as part of the clues.

Finally completing that quest felt like a real accomplishment and questers were rewarded with an amazing array of gifts in the caverns once the quest was solved.

Unfortunately that sim no longer exists. :(

There is another quest that I had begun years ago - a "Harp-something" quest.  Not sure if it/the sims still exist but, if so, this thread has spurred me to return to that.

Other than these types of games/quests - I agree with the others that say if I want to play a "computer game" I'll do that outside of SL.

Edit: Clarification

Jenny Siddeley wrote:

Never enough games!
:)

As for Super Mario, there are places where you can jump from platform to platform with your avatar and it can be fun too (Electrobit City for example).......

If you like jumping games, you should try Stellar Sunshine's Beanstalk (pops).  The SLURL is on the page.

I am willing to bet that in the early days of SL, climbing the Beanstalk was a huge challenge.

Thanks Czari! I know others who would love to find sims like those, too. If you find more, would you let me know? I know of one or two currently (and of course, this being a lazy day I can't think of their names.) No biggie, just if you think of it some day.

By the way. HI!  :D

Melita Magic wrote:

Thanks Czari! I know others who would love to find sims like those, too. If you find more, would you let me know? I know of one or two currently (and of course, this being a lazy day I can't think of their names.) No biggie, just if you think of it some day.

By the way. HI!  
:D

Hi there....great to see you, Melita!!  :smileyhappy:

When I go back in world next I will look up the Harp quest and check to see it if is still in operation.  I have some lovely photos I took on the sims for that quest when I first began...then got sidetracke.  Iirc, it is called "The Broken Harp Quest."  I have the lm's and some info cards in my inventory so will definitely pass them on to you (and anyone else who is interested).

The only other quest I personally knew about was the Matahari Quest with the reward being so gorgeous jewelry.  I'm pretty sure that area is gone as well, but I will double check.

I did the Pot Healer's Quest very early in my SL in 2007; beganthe Harp Quest in early 2008; and just briefly visited the Matahari Quest starting area in 2007 - sadly many of these wonderful places are gone. :(

OH..."hopefully" this place is still around, but I haven't been there since 2010 - the Gion sim/s.  A lovely Japanese-themed sim that includes several quests - one is collecting coins that can be exchanged for gifts and I think there is another more structured quest that awarded a Geisha skin, gorgeous Geisha kimono, and a bunch of other things.  Of course this would be for those who enjoy Japanese items.

Since sl is all user created, it seems like if games were a huge success here, there would be more of them. The truth is that most sim owners find that of everyone who says it would be nice to have something, after getting all hyped up and expecting all kinds of traffic to roll through, a sadly small percentage of those people even bother to check out what's been made because they said they want it.

Add to that the huge divide in the amount of lag that sl residents experience, and there's a huge problem of keeping a game fair. Someone with weak graphics may have a hard time jumping with any kind of precision. Huds are for people with faster machines. then some people have wonderful 802.11ac routers, while others are still on 802.11g.

gaming in sl is very challenging. And I applaud anyone who can overcome the difficulty and actually create a game.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.