SL on the web

Christin73

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They tried it for a short time and nothing became of it. It was very limited, no inventory or anything. The graphics were pretty okay but the best feature was no sim crossing issues. I loved it for that. I would log in with the regular viewer, rez my motorcycle, log out, log in using the web viewer and drive around without a single issue.

Christin73 wrote:

Will LLs ever put a version of SL that can be plaid from the website directly vs downloading a viewer? I think it would be benificial for them to try it. There are people out there stuck on public computers that cant download but enjoy in world.

Several years ago they did a beta  test on one.  I don't recall the details but I would suspect it would be too much for a simple browser to handle.

I think I recall Philip Rosedale stating they might be working on making SL avaiable for browsers in an in-world meeting sometime last year in August I believe (theres a youtube video in Second Life's channel's playlist). I do agree, it could be a benefit for Linden Lab since many more users would have more access (and I can log in anywhere that has internet connection  without Downloading the viewer WOOT WOOT! :matte-motes-big-grin:) Most people when I reccomend any online game or VW tend to deny for the reason they don't want to the client because of paranoia of recieving a virus. Idk when they said they were planning on putting their plan in action but I remember him stating they were going to fix the current issues with SL before starting any more projects I believe. 

As much as I applaud your desire to remain virus free, that philosophy certainly does limit your choices on many things. If stay aware of where you are on the net and only download from the source then you will be fine. I've been doing the "innernets" since the days when a 14.4k modem was the envy of everyone. The only times I contracted any virtual VD's was when I got stupid. And that was only twice.

Where is SL if not on the web???**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif" border="0" alt=":smileyvery-happy:" title="Smiley Very Happy" />

SL is not on the web. It does use the internet, but the web is only a part of the internet. The web (or, officially, the World Wide Web) is an application that runs on the interet and uses browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc. and the HTML language (and other things) to communicate. No one owns the web; many computers owned by competing companies supply services to the web.

SL is another different application that allows an program on your computer, commonly called
the viewer" (the Linden supplied viewer, Firefox, etc.) to communicate with Linden Lab's computers.

In the past both LL and others have had applications that ran on the web that would allow use of SL on a web browser. However, due to technical limitations these have been limited.  The advantage is that you can access SL through any computer connected to the internet. For example, the PC on my desk does not have a SL viewer; the firm will not allow installation of additional software without going through the firm's IT group. I have SL installed on my home computer. With SL on the web, even with limited features, I could get access from my office computer or from the local public library. It would be a good idea if it can be done without too many limitations.

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Where is SL if not on the web???:smileysurprised:
:)
:smileyvery-happy:

It's on the Internet, which is a network of computers. The Web is one of many systems that use the Internet network. That's why the Web is called the Web and not the Internet. SL is another system that uses the network. The Internet existed years before the Web was ever thought of.

Christin wrote: I try not to download anything unless I have to. Downloads tend to open up for viruses.

-----------------------------------

You're suing a browser, don't you? You once downloaded this browser and now you're having it upgraded all the time. In case of MS IE that thing is pretty much open for viruses and stuff.

SL viewers are like browsers, just more specified for the task to run SL on them. And the danger of catching a virus is much smaller than in any other webbrowser.

The only thing protecting you from viruses is to be clever. Don't open email attachments from unknown persons, don't download from suspicious places, all these little things we learn like we learn to look left and right before crossing the street.

So be reasonably clever. I said clever not paranoid! Are you from Texas or some equally stupid place?

Orca Flotta wrote:

The only thing protecting you from viruses is to be clever. Don't open email attachments from unknown persons, don't download from suspicious places,
all these little things we learn like we learn to look left and right before crossing the street.

That's a recipe for disaster - unless you drive on the wrong side of the road in your country, of course :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.