Second Life Problems on Windows 8 [Firestorm Viewer]

Vivider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello All,

So there's a few issues I've been experiencing since I got my new windows 8 computer last night.

Firstly Alpha Layers Tend to glitch out quite a bit, I'm able to see bits of my body/hands/feet For All mesh clothing that I never had any issues with.

Choppy Voice Chat- This ones a main concern of mine because I use voice chat a lot!

And I was wondering if anyone else was having these issues and know if there is anything I can do to fix these problems or just have to bare with it? 

Any Help Would be greatly Appreciated!!

Thanks In Advance

Vivider Resident

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

The easiest solution would be to "upgrade" to Windows 7 though - will also resolve the problem with the fugly tiles and missing start menu!
;)

That's actually part of the design, oh I get it, lol :P

Speaking of hateful interfaces, what is up with the new chat window in the latest LL viewer? Is that like a thowback to the old style viewers? 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Speaking of hateful interfaces, what is up with the new chat window in the latest LL viewer? Is that like a thowback to the old style viewers? 

Can't say exactly. Top priority at the moment has getting the server-side baking stable (that's already in and seems to be basically working). However I already did - or better: tried - to merge the ~1200 commits into Firestorm - and it turned out to become a huge mess! So my personal idea right now is to move the communication parts in Firestorm into their own files and classes and out of the way to whatever LL has done to those parts. I already spent about 20 hours of moving things around to see if that actually works out and so far it looks pretty good (running a build with those changes for 6 hours now without problems). If this is the way CHUI will be handled isn't decided yet because of SSB. But if this works, it might eventually even possible to make it an option in the future whether to use the original CHUI comm style or the FS/legacy style. But no guarantee, so don't nail me on that!

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

what is up with the new chat window in the latest LL viewer? Is that like a thowback to the old style viewers? 

pretty much. when linden made V2 they basic destroyed the V1 combined Communications dialog. now they put all back together in one dialog. openchat IM groupchat voice and conferencing. is called CHUI

CHUI now just been moved to the latest beta viewer. we will get in next official viewer release seems like

16 wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

what is up with the new chat window in the latest LL viewer? Is that like a thowback to the old style viewers? 

pretty much. when linden made V2 they basic destroyed the V1 combined Communications dialog. now they put all back together in one dialog. openchat IM groupchat voice and conferencing. is called CHUI

CHUI now just been moved to the latest beta viewer. we will get in next official viewer release seems like

I do not care for it, I hope it will be possible to go back to the way I am used to it being, if not I'll learn to deal, thanks for the explanation.

@ Ansarial, ok! Don't forget to get some rest you! :matte-motes-smitten:

Ah, ok, I just now saw this. I think I will be able to deal a lot easier now. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/An-Update-on-Recent-Improvements-to-Second-Life/ba-p/1911479

• 3 months later...

windows 8 is just a plain pain in the arse period i am finding a copy of windows 7 profesional and loading it i have had nothing but trouble with win. 8 it cant even run a simple game like League of Legends let alone Second Life .... i thought when i got this new braand new lap top since its the closest thing i can get to a gameing pc without going Alienware i would be fine fk that windows has to go and screw everything up with this new operating system League of Legends still glitches but at least i got it to run i tried Defragmenting the hard drive bigest fkn mistake ever it fkd  up the whole pc took me a day and a half to get it back to operating fk microsoft and win. 8 i recomend you just reload win 7 or XP they operate well with most things out there .

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.