Any way to turn username display in chat off or modify it?

Jenni Darkwatch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Basically I have usernames turned off everywhere. The floating names simply have a different colour if display name != username (Thanks Hitomi!), not to mention i tend to check who I am talking with if it's anything important anyway.

Chat doesn't seem to honor that setting though. If the username is different from the display name it shows as "displayname (username): blahblah".

Is there any way to hack the XML to toss the username or even better, make it behave exactly like floating names? Or alternatively at least show something arbitrary instead of the username, like say "displayname (!): blahblah"?

I actually found that Catznip R7 (the latest version) has the ability to turn off all occurances of the Username being visible, except those given by out-of-date scripts, and in users profiles. Tooltips, local chat, mini-map, and just about everything else (I didn't test the map teleport-to function Ansariel mentions above) only show the display name, without the username in trailing brackets.

I don't know if you'd be willing to swap viewers to gain this functionality, but I figured it's worth a mention. I was impressed, because I hate reading redundant text.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.