How to make lasting friends in SL?

lizbeth2u

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you for your honest reply. I'm almost to the point of leaving SL. As my RL values are too conservative for this virtual world.

When I first arrived I was in hopes I could find friends that enjoyed some of the same things I did, and yet remain respectful

Only a couple have done so. Or the ones that I could be friends with are in a relationship. Which I do not understand. How

Can one become "engaged" or "married" in a virtual world?  It just doesn't' make sense to this lady.

But, wanted to thank you for your honest answer.

Elizabeth

The whole engaged and married thing, well, that is kind of a crock in my mind, but some people consider it a commitment of some kind.  I look at it as sort of "going steady" lol.  However, there are many many in sl who don't believe in it and who don't expect the "marriage" to last much longer than the wedding reception.  And that about sums it up.  I think showing off an engagement ring is a status thing and the wedding is the same for females in sl.  A way to show off just how desireable you are.  And some just put down a partner to keep from getting hit on, so I've been told.  DJs do it.  Not all, but some because they get a lot of stalkers and groupies who follow them around and give them unwanted attention.

You have to remember sl is the internet and the internet has its fair share of strange types just as the real outside world does.  In fact sl isn't much different.  Anyway, I knock around sl a few days a week.  If I see you online, I'll pop into your IM and say hi. :matte-motes-smile:

Hi

thanks for your reply. I still can't imagine being engaged in sl as normal. But, that's just me, as I am a rather conservative

Lady in RL. Have found that I am not able to allow my avi to be much wilder than myself in RL. I do let her dress much more 

Formal for ballroom dances, and such. And, I do own two fantasy costumes. ( so far no place to wear them)

I have added  no sex to my profile and no role playing. That has really eliminated all advances so far. In fact I seem invisible to almost everyone. 

If you see me in world please send me an IM. Not sure when I will return. As, I'm planning a real trip to England this Sumner and want to spend my time on the details of that adventure which is real.

Thanks 

Elizabeth

• 1 month later...

To all that have written,

I have decided to give up looking for anyone. With a heavy heart I am just to upset

To continue. SL may be good for so many of you but for me it has brought only sadness.

But, thanks to each one that has tried to offer advice

Good night

Lizbeth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.