BOTS WHO FILM YOUR SIM

Tahiti Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why does a certain company send bot avatars onto your sim and to film a 360 of it for either their own research  purposes or to give away for free the cheap quick 360 footage of your sim (from a really bad angle lol) to any email address who requests it?  Does LL condone this?  The company's website says they are known by LL and Open Sim.  I don't know the rules here so I won't name the bot avatar or the company in case that's an infringement, but i can be contacted privately regarding same.  Others have reported it as well as posted in their web profile that they are a bot griefer, and I've seen more than one on my sim.

The company that is supposedly affiliated with this(ese) bot(s) make(s) inworld products for sim design and structures and claims to do "research."  I hope this research does not involve stalking for anonymous requestors of the "360" footage via email (because according to their privacy policy, they keep the email address of the requester of the footage LOL, which can be subpoenaed if need be for a legal reasons) or worse yet, for theft of ORIGINAL ideas.

Original Creator

These guys still exist? That's amazing. They caused a smallish kerfuffle years ago, and I hadn't heard nor thought of them since.

If I understand the official Snapshot and Machinima policy, they'd have a very hard time complying. I wonder how they get around it.

[ETA: Found an old column by Prokofy about this policy and its implications for the peek-a-boo-bots. Incidentally, I'm only assuming that it's the same botrunners today as back then.]

The Machinima and Snapshot policy is merely for copyright purposes. It says it right in the text if you read it. There is no way to stop people from taking pictures or video of your land short of expulsion from your land on your own part. Even then, that wouldn't help because if somebody REALLY wanted pictures or snapshots or your land, there are ways of getting it without your knowledge at all. It works the same way in real life. If an image is available to the public (people can see it and record it somehow), you have no rights to the image and the only thing you can really do is ask them to stop.

indeed. Are you so ashamed of what you've built there that you don't want others to know about it? Or have super secret stuff going on maybe? Or are you in violation of the TOS and afraid to get banned from SL if people find out?

In all 3 cases, why don't you restrict access to your land so nobody else except those you yourself invite can visit?

Linden Lab allows bots in Second Life, and allows recordings of SL.

nobody is breaking any rule if they move the slider to max distance and record what they can see around, i dont see how recording or taking a snapshot is griefing, it doesnt harm anyone.

it makes sense for a company to have an address of their customers, to where they can send them the product if they dont have it?

Canoro Philipp wrote:

Linden Lab allows bots in Second Life, and allows recordings of SL.

nobody is breaking any rule if they move the slider to max distance and record what they can see around, i dont see how recording or taking a snapshot is griefing, it doesnt harm anyone.

it makes sense for a company to have an address of their customers, to where they can send them the product if they dont have it?

Pretty sure LL stated that if the owner of the sims stated "no snapshots in the land description", then they aren't allowed to take pictures there.

• 1 year later...

No, I'm not doing anything I don't want them to see LOL.  I have a public art sim and not closing it because of them.  But there are hundreds of them and they return with a different one when you ban them, often in groups of 2 or 3 as you  ban them.  If you look in their web profiles, you'll see that everyone is filing ARs against them because they are numerous, intrusive and all over the grid.  If it's a public sim, they're guaranteed visitors on a regular basis.  In the profile of one of the filming bots, an SL veteran posted that they are making money from their films, but has not responded when I ask how they are making money.  If they are profiting from filming others' creations, isn't that content theft?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.