My sl viewers keep crashing at login what to do ?

ch4wki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Its been going on for a while now , wether its LL viewer or firestorm or phoenix everytime i click the log in button they either stop responding or simply close . I dont get a crash report or anything of the sort . I'm not sure what the issue is and i cant tell if my computer is the problem even tho second life used to actually work with no problems . Im using a core i3 2.95 ghz 32 bit operating system 2gb of ram and a 1gb nvidia geforce 9500 gt . i dont think its a graphics problem cuz i never had a problem running sl before . I tried every thing i can possibly think of : i cleard cashe ,updated viewer , uninstalled and reinstalled viewer , updated graphics adapter , turned off my firewall , hoocked my wireless internet through cable from my router and i still get the same problem . Any help would be much appreciated if i missed anything please inform me .

thank you in advance . 

5 answers to this question

You ought to be able to get medium to high quality performance out of that system.  The NVidia GeForce 9500gt is a bit on the old side, but it's about the same vintage as my own card.  You don't have a lot of memory, but 2 gB should be enough.  If you're not getting an error message of any kind, then you are not crashing.  You are disconnecting, possibly timing out before you can establish a solid connection to SL's servers. 

t is possible for a buildup of too many notifications to cause Firestorm to disconnect during or shortly after login. If you experience such disconnections repeatedly on Firestorm, then follow the instructions under “Firestorm Logs Out During Login” here.

You might also be having Domain Name Server (DNS) issues.  Add Google's free public DNS servers or anoither reliable alternative to whatever your ISP assigns you as a default. You don't need to delete what's there.  Just add to it.  Your computer will run down the list as you log on and will find an IP address that works.  Here's how >>> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

• Like 1

When it comes down to it, sounds like your drivers are not particulally up-to-date but I could be wrong. 

Normally I don't link stuff,  but this is what I'd suggest though. : http://blog.nalates.net/2011/02/22/second-life-clean-install/

If it continues to give you problems, just post back on to this Thread, and I'll see what I can figure out for you.

• Like 1

That's about all I can suggest, except for the strong, standard recommendation that you get off wireless. You lose bandwidth that way and can get a lot of interference from sources around you. But since you say that you have tried moving to a direct cable and still have the problem, that's not the issue. Do try adding DNS server IPs if you haven't already.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.