Jump to content

A walk in the dark


MissManaged
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic


Porky Gorky wrote:


MissManaged wrote:

Hello Porky,

 

While I do agree that the drama is fabricated for entertainment purposes, I feel that it is unfair (I know, I know, what in this world
is
fair?) that just because one chooses to utilize this application they must be prepared to endure the harassment. 

You are hardly enduring it now are you? You are embracing it, You have a flair for the dramatic as evidenced by the prose of your OP, your character in this soap opera is the victim, but you are still choosing to play the role, rather than just walking away. You are embracing your character and your part in the drama by launching this spin off show on the forums in which you engage in "banter" with some of your tormentors whilst most onlookers don't really care or are too busy playing "guess the Alt".

If you truly are a victim in this scenario then here is some advice, walk away from the feeds and never look back, disassociate yourself from your tormentors rather than just openly inviting them onto your spinoff show here. It's not fair, it's not just, but life rarely is. You have the power to extradite yourself from your current situation in an instance.

Yet the show must go on, right?

Porky,

I revisited your post here, and while I do not totally agree, I do think you have something here.  It involves the perception of power.  Those who are the “victims” give too much power to the ones tormenting them.  Perhaps the answer is a compromise.  Not necessarily leaving the feed behind and never looking back, but what about simply carrying on without giving credence to them by refusing to acknowledge them or their slights?  It seems to me that this would leave them “twisting in the wind” so to speak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Keriwena wrote:

I have yet to wander into that dark alley, but I shall heed your admonitions.

 

 

Mostly, I just wanted to say that post is a marvelous piece of prose.

Same here - on both points, although I have no intention of entering the dark alley; I take the same precautions online that I do offline. 

To echo Keriwena - excellent piece of writing!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


MissManaged wrote:


“Loyalty” demands that one condemn those that they themselves have no issue with.
~ I believe there is a difference between condemning a person and condemning an action.  I may like you, but I don’t have to love everything you say, nor agree with everything you do.  I may, in fact, really thoroughly dislike something you say and do, and therefore feel a need to condemn your words or actions.


Oh, but in that dark alley, no "fence-sitting" is allowed. You're either on "our" side or "theirs". So sorry.


Reading a single post on someone’s feed equal “watching” or “stalking”
~  This one made me chuckle a bit.  I suppose I myself could be deemed a “watcher”.  I think you may cross the line into stalking when it becomes necessary to log in as an alt simply to view the feed of someone you dislike and then criticise them on your own feed for what they have said.

It needn't even be as an alt. In fact, little to no previous interaction with the accuser is required. A simple reference to having read something, not even something that they themselves wrote, on their feed is all that's needed. (I have recent personal experience in this area.)


If you don’t like the way a discussion is going, you can just delete all of your comments.
~ I have seen this one.  It seems that this can be a way to get at the OP as well as a means of self preservation.  Given the nature of the feed in association with the muting practices, it seems one could easily mute someone and then carry on spamming their inbox in a thread they are now locked out of.

Yes, I know of people who've placed one comment on a feed post who woke up to find their Inbox full. One has to wonder whether the SPAMmers have nothing better to do. Some will even go to a months-old post to deliver their "payload".


One’s political affiliation can be used as a club in a discussion that has naught to do with politics.
~ I think this goes for more than simply politics.  I’ve seen the club wielded for many subject that have nothing to do with the OP. It happens here on the forum and elsewhere in life.  “Your opinion doesn’t count because you’re wearing a red shirt!”


Some will go about this in the most underhanded way, though. "You're a Libertarian? You must be an Ayn Rand fan. Did you know that an axe murderer and child rapist was to be a model for a character in one of her unfinished novels? You must support child murder and rape!!!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:


MissManaged wrote:

Thank you Porky for your thoughts and suggestions,

 While I, personally, am not a character in this show,
I have seen some who do walk away, yet they still seem to be listed in the credits. 

This is *your* show.  This is *your* OP.   Again, you can't have it both ways.  

 

If it is my "show" then I would imagine I could have it any way I pleased.  However, I took Porky's reference of "show" to mean the feed, in which I do not participate, therefore, I am not a character. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being muted means that someone doesn't want to talk to you anymore. Whether that's Criffin Ceawlin or GriffinsAlt Resident (this is an example I made up - 'scuse me if the account actually exists) should not make a difference. In other words, if you use alts to hammer your little point home despite being muted, you're already harrassing. Use two alts and you know you have a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


MissManaged wrote:


Storm Clarence wrote:


MissManaged wrote:

Thank you Porky for your thoughts and suggestions,

 While I, personally, am not a character in this show,
I have seen some who do walk away, yet they still seem to be listed in the credits. 

This is *your* show.  This is *your* OP.   Again, you can't have it both ways.  

 

If it is my "show" then I would imagine I could have it any way I pleased. 
However, I took Porky's reference of "show" to mean the feed, in which I do not participate, therefore, I am not a character. 

Yes you can.  But don't try to convince the audience that you are NOT a character in the show (or a dancer in the dance) when it is *your* show and *you* are playing the lead part.   Many a show has collapsed because the audience was NOT fooled... or do you just think that no one is paying attention to what you are presenting?  There are too many contradictions in your posts... 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Laetizia Coronet wrote:

... In other words, if you use alts to hammer your little point home despite being muted, you're already harrassing. Use
two
alts and you
know
you have a problem.

I absolutely 'LOVE' this^^ post.  Looks around at the majority of participants to this thread.

 

PS One 'r' in harassing.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Laetizia Coronet wrote:

I disapprove of this use of alts 95% of the time. I make an exception for people who are almost forced to use alts because their opponents swoop in on everything they say as their main account. But that's a different story. PS, participants "in", not "to".

So, you've never been there cheering on the use of griefer alts, Tish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Griffin Ceawlin wrote:


Laetizia Coronet wrote:

I disapprove of this use of alts 95% of the time.
I make an exception for people who are almost forced
to use alts because their opponents swoop in on everything they say as their main account. But that's a different story. PS, participants "in", not "to".

So, you've never been there cheering on the use of griefer alts, Tish?

Or, it's not like one is threatening to "kick your teeth out" or anything like that.  I have tough time understanding the definition of "almost forced".  Is it something like: "I don't agree with you and I don't like you, and you don't like me, so I am almost forced to use an alt to hammer home my point."  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


MissManaged wrote:

Linden Lab would do well to take a closer look at their alley and the ever growing sewage spill that may well end up lowering the property value.  I hope that Linden Lab decides to clean up the alley, it's beginning to stink.

 

Why, oh why, did you open the sewer's lid ? :robotsad:

 

Oh_God_Why-47-650x650.jpg

 

 

Goddemmit ..... :robotmad:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...