How can I fix the textures on .dae models I import from Sketchup?

Katrina Schilling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Map them correctly? :smileytongue:

It's hard to answer without knowing what you mean by "wrongly mapped". The placement of textures on your model depends on how your UV map was made, which involves more than just unwrapping your model.  Each area on the UV map has to be rotated properly and sized appropriately for the texture it's going to receive (or your textures have to be rotated and sized to fit the areas on your UV map).  You may have to save more than one UV map to handle complex areas or detailed textures on your model.  A UV map won't reflect any geometry changes you make after you unwrap your model, so be sure that you are using the most current UV map.

You may want to pose your question with more detail in the Mesh forum, where you'll get more specific answers.

2 answers to this question

Map them correctly? :smileytongue:

It's hard to answer without knowing what you mean by "wrongly mapped". The placement of textures on your model depends on how your UV map was made, which involves more than just unwrapping your model.  Each area on the UV map has to be rotated properly and sized appropriately for the texture it's going to receive (or your textures have to be rotated and sized to fit the areas on your UV map).  You may have to save more than one UV map to handle complex areas or detailed textures on your model.  A UV map won't reflect any geometry changes you make after you unwrap your model, so be sure that you are using the most current UV map.

You may want to pose your question with more detail in the Mesh forum, where you'll get more specific answers.

I found there are many problems with Sketchup models which lead to things like very inefficient topology, bad triagulation etc. When texturing with Sketchup areas with the same texture become seperate sub objects, this leads to a much higher land impact then normal.

A door I made in Sketchup with textures from Sketchup had an impact of 5, the same door with corrected topology had only 1. This means loosing the Sketchup textures and doing something like UV unwrapping and mapping with a real 3D model application like Blender. Also, you cannot rely on Sketchup's own triangualtion method when exporting. As Sketchup generates alot of duplicate vertices and faces which all make for a high land impact and much higher upload cost then needed. I was able to bring my Sketchup door of 36 upload cost down to just 10.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.