How do I convert Moven's mocap BVH files for SL?

guyjiin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a newbie to SL...I have a Moven motion capture suit and can export the motion as a BVH file.  How do I convert this motion into a usable character motion for SL characters?

I made a poor attempt at using bvh hacker, but failed.  If you can shed light on this process, I would appreciate the help.

I do animations but not mocap animations.  Hopefully another forum member who does mocaps can give you additional information and some tips.  But here is some general information.

I assume you used the correct bones and joints for the SL avatar when you created your BVH file.  If you didn't you may want to spend time reading the SL Wiki to learn creating an animation for SL and about all the things you need to do before you import your file into SL. 

You import it into SL using Upload>animation.  However SL will only upload animations that are a maximum of 30 seconds of unique frames.  If your animation is longer than this you will need to split it up then upload each segment then use a script to play them in order.  Even if it 30 seconds, you will need a script to use it inworld in a pose ball.

If you know nothing about scripting, this link will given you information about LSL Scripts for animations.

Of course if you are going to sell them to builders, you can just sell the animation and the builder will have the scripts needed to use it.  But if you are going to sell it on the retail market you will need to script it and put it in a pose ball.

guyjiin wrote:

I'm a newbie to SL...I have a Moven motion capture suit and can export the motion as a BVH file.  How do I convert this motion into a usable character motion for SL characters?

I made a poor attempt at using bvh hacker, but failed.  If you can shed light on this process, I would appreciate the help.

Well, if Moven allows you to import a rig, then you'd just apply the mocap to that rig. If it does not, than you'd need to do this in another program made to do this. Linden Lab supplies us with a cr2 file that can be loaded in Poser or DazStudio. In Poser, you can use the SL cr2, and then import any human bvh file. Poser will allow you to apply the joints onto all the proper SL joints, then you can export that bvh. You will probably want to add a Tframe to the animation, as this is the first frame, and it's positioning frame. It should import into SL properly. DazStudio is a free animation program and basically can do the same as Poser.

Amethyst Jetaime  -  Thank you for the SL links and good information.  I'm interested in creating and selling the motion on the retail market.  So, that scripting link will come in handy!  And, thanks for the heads-up regarding the 30 second animaton file limit.

Medhue Simoni  -  Thank you for your reply.  I didn't know that DAZ Studio was free.

To All Animators -  My preferred pipeline is to take the mocap BVH motion and import it onto a simple 3D Studio Max Biped.  Is there a 3DSMax Biped file with the proper SL bone count and naming convention available already?  And, how do convert the motion from a 3DSMax Biped to SL?

guyjiin wrote:

To All Animators -  My preferred pipeline is to take the mocap BVH motion and import it onto a simple 3D Studio Max Biped.  Is there a 3DSMax Biped file with the proper SL bone count and naming convention available already?  And, how do convert the motion from a 3DSMax Biped to SL?

I have 3ds Max, and other than Abu's script, I haven't found anything that allows you to export a bvh for SL out of 3ds Max properly. Abu's script will work, but I've never got 1 to export all the joints properly. My Max is old tho and It's been awhile since I tried. Ultimately, I'd not use 3ds Max, cause it just ends up being more work than it is worth.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.