Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Perrie Juran

The Impact Of Server Side Baking

Recommended Posts

LOL tried to create awareness about the jira but was laughed at. I can make my own custom animations so won't bother me none I'll just laugh at all my child and tiny avi friends when they start sinking into the ground :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voted and watched.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

BTW, I thought we couldn't see anyone else's jiras anymore.  Did LL change that back and not tell us?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Czari Zenovka wrote:

BTW, I thought we couldn't see anyone else's jiras anymore.  Did LL change that back and not tell us?

 

It depends on the settings Lindens chose for each particular type of JIRA issue. The SUN (Sunshine) issue, like some other project issues are open for everyone to see/vote/watch, and for TPV developers to create new issues and comment about existing ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Henri Beauchamp wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:

BTW, I thought we couldn't see anyone else's jiras anymore.  Did LL change that back and not tell us?

 

It depends on the settings Lindens chose for each particular type of JIRA issue. The SUN (Sunshine) issue, like some other project issues are open for everyone to see/vote/watch, and for TPV developers to create new issues and comment about existing ones.

Very interesting...thanks, Henri :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darren Scorpio wrote:

LOL tried to create awareness about the jira but was laughed at. I can make my own custom animations so won't bother me none I'll just laugh at all my child and tiny avi friends when they start sinking into the ground
:D

Given LL's opinion of our opinions I went, "Yeah, right," at the idea of voting or watching too.

It will only get fixed if they think it is important, not if we think so, no matter how many people voice their opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Perrie Juran wrote:

Given LL's opinion of our opinions I went, "Yeah, right," at the idea of voting or watching too.

It will only get fixed if they think it is important, not if we think so, no matter how many people voice their opinion. 

 

I rarely get involved with Jiras, but one in which I did have an interest was not only watched but acted upon. Well, two, but the RZ jiras were heavily watched.

The one I'm talking about had to do with the Feed and the feature of 'following'. It was requested that we be able to remove followers; when the Feed was new anyone could follow anyone else, without asking first. Still can, actually, but now we have the option to remove them. At the time that option did not exist.

Some people found it rather creepy that their every word on the Feed was being beamed to someone they had never heard of and or someone they knew hated them. It was of course possible to go inworld and block/mute anyone you didn't want 'following' you, but a less cumbersome method was asked for. A lot of people chimed in. Lindens took notice. Lindens posted to the Jira. In a matter of weeks, the problem was resolved. There is now a 'Remove' button. The trolls hated it, of course.

It does happen that Jiras get noticed, and get action. Maybe that one did just because the whole thing was so new and LL was looking for input. I don't know. I do know that it was dealt with, and dealt with pretty damn quickly.

 

Edited for grammatical reasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:

 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Given LL's opinion of our opinions I went, "Yeah, right," at the idea of voting or watching too.

It will only get fixed if they think it is important, not if we think so, no matter how many people voice their opinion. 

 

I rarely get involved with Jiras, but one in which I did have an interest was not only watched but acted upon. Well, two, but the RZ jiras were heavily watched.

The one I'm talking about had to do with the Feed and the feature of 'following'. It was requested that we be able to remove followers; when the Feed was new anyone could follow anyone else, without asking first. Still can, actually, but now we have the option to remove them. At the time that option did not exist.

Some people found it rather creepy that their every word on the Feed was being beamed to someone they had never heard of and or someone they knew hated them. It was of course possible to go inworld and block/mute anyone you didn't want 'following' you, but a less cumbersome method was asked for. A lot of people chimed in. Lindens took notice. Lindens posted to the Jira. In a matter of weeks, the problem was resolved. There is now a 'Remove' button. The trolls hated it, of course.

It does happen that Jiras get noticed, and get action. Maybe that one did just because the whole thing was so new and LL was looking for input. I don't know. I do know that it was dealt with, and dealt with pretty damn quickly.

 

Edited for grammatical reasons

Somehow I missed or forgot this. I just went to look at my followers list and find there both "Remove" buttons and "celebrities".

;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:

 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Given LL's opinion of our opinions I went, "Yeah, right," at the idea of voting or watching too.

It will only get fixed if they think it is important, not if we think so, no matter how many people voice their opinion. 

 

I rarely get involved with Jiras, but one in which I did have an interest was not only watched but acted upon. Well, two, but the RZ jiras were heavily watched.

The one I'm talking about had to do with the Feed and the feature of 'following'. It was requested that we be able to remove followers; when the Feed was new anyone could follow anyone else, without asking first. Still can, actually, but now we have the option to remove them. At the time that option did not exist.

Some people found it rather creepy that their every word on the Feed was being beamed to someone they had never heard of and or someone they knew hated them. It was of course possible to go inworld and block/mute anyone you didn't want 'following' you, but a less cumbersome method was asked for. A lot of people chimed in. Lindens took notice. Lindens posted to the Jira. In a matter of weeks, the problem was resolved. There is now a 'Remove' button. The trolls hated it, of course.

It does happen that Jiras get noticed, and get action. Maybe that one did just because the whole thing was so new and LL was looking for input. I don't know. I do know that it was dealt with, and dealt with pretty damn quickly.

 

Edited for grammatical reasons

The biggest reason that JIRA was successful was because we at the time had an actual LInden who actually cared who had been assigned oversite of the Forums, etc, at the time LL switched to Lithium.  That particular Linden also actually had people skills.

It is fairly imposible now to point to the many JIRA's that had large numbers of followers/watchers that never got any attention or action from the Lab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont own alot of land or a major business person on sl.  However I am not going to be in sl long if people are going to break RLV.  Its something i have grown to love in sl and if its taken away there is just nothing left for me to do.  A person can only play with horses for so long.  Also not being able to use Phoenix that i have used since sl started and especally after that stupid Second Life Viewer came out, I would go start raving mad trying to learn a new viewer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I detest the LL V3 viewer as well.  It is my understanding that Firestorm (the same team who developed Phoenix - also my favorite viewer) has a Phoenix-type UI that can be selected.  The screen shots look identical to Phoenix.  There are several other viewers that have a version 1.x UI - Singularity and Cool Viewer are the two I've heard about most often that former Phoenix viewers are now using.  Those are the ones I'll be trying out...soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Firestorm has a direct V1-UI-setting.

However, for me it's V3 all around.
I hate the V1-UI. For numerous reasons:

Pie-Menu. up to 4 mouse clicks for stuff, that's done with 1 mouse click on the regular windows style menu.
No Addressbar. Quickly pasting and/or entering/editing locations is an absolute must.
No Outfit-dialogue. Easy selecting/editing/saving outfits is a must.
No Places-dialogue. I often need to have it open separate from the inventory. I hate digging through the folder tree
just to get to my Landmarks.
Fixed buttonbar on the bottom. The flexible toolbars of any V3-viewer run rings around that one.
Unreadable titles on minimized dialogues. Bad color/text contrast on the UI. I wonder, what the designer had smoked at that time.

Since the LL-devs took out the handbrake on the latest SL-viewer, I don't use Singularity anymore, I guess, I throw it off the
machine today. The only reason for me to use Singularity was the performance. Since the latest SL-viewer offers the same
performance with the added comfort of the V3-UI, I don't need Singularity anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Yep, Firestorm has a direct V1-UI-setting.

However, for me it's V3 all around.

I hate the V1-UI. For numerous reasons:

Pie-Menu. up to 4 mouse clicks for stuff, that's done with 1 mouse click on the regular windows style menu.

No Addressbar. Quickly pasting and/or entering/editing locations is an absolute must.

No Outfit-dialogue. Easy selecting/editing/saving outfits is a must.

No Places-dialogue. I often need to have it open separate from the inventory. I hate digging through the folder tree

just to get to my Landmarks.

Fixed buttonbar on the bottom. The flexible toolbars of any V3-viewer run rings around that one.

Unreadable titles on minimized dialogues. Bad color/text contrast on the UI. I wonder, what the designer had smoked at that time.

Since the LL-devs took out the handbrake on the latest SL-viewer, I don't use Singularity anymore, I guess, I throw it off the

machine today. The only reason for me to use Singularity was the performance. Since the latest SL-viewer offers the same

performance with the added comfort of the V3-UI, I don't need Singularity anymore.

 

I use the V3 too but there's one thing missing from it that I often want, and that's the current location coordinates. With V1s you can move around until you are at the coordinates where you want to be (e.g. when looking for an object at a specific location) but the coordinates are not shown in the V3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I'm comfortable with V 1.0 UI's and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Phoenix and the support of the Firestorm/Phoenix team, I'm just glad Firestorm made an option for those of us with this preference.  Sounds like with Firestorm either way it's all good.

One question I haven't thought to ask anyone - did Firestorm retain the area search function?  That is one of my favorite features of Phoenix due to some shops being very slow rezzing and/or so large with no tp's or indication of where certain items are that often using area search keeps me from pulling my hair out - or, more likely, just leaving the store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Area search is still there, it has been rewritten for the last version, with much improved performance.
However, the viewer isn't as performant as the latest SL-Viewer.
I do hope, that changes with the next version.

@Phil Deakins: Do a right click into the navigation bar, then click on 'Show Coordinates'.
The one below, 'Show Parcel Properties' should have a checkmark as well, it then shows the parcel title too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

@Phil Deakins: Do a right click into the navigation bar, then click on 'Show Coordinates'.

The one below, 'Show Parcel Properties' should have a checkmark as well, it then shows the parcel title too.

 

Aha. Thankyou for that, Jadeclaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


adamsky Draconia wrote:

if ll do bring in the server side bakeing i for one will be leaveing sl full stop i cant stand v3 sorce code 

pls I can haz ur stuff tnks(:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh. I hate the news In theory it sounds like it will be great and will provide faster loading, but i really doubt it.  I hate when Linden Labs trys to add new features without fixing the old ones.  

If this actually works it could be a huge thing.  avatar loading can take forever ......it would be awesome to see a huge improvement. but considering that ive yet to see any big improvements over the year lag wise (in fact it seems lately lag is getting worse) i am not holding my breath.


a pain though as i like phoniex viewer better then firestorm and its no longer updated. i find the text in firestorm harder to read for some reason. Ugh.   I just hope this update actually fixes the loading issues ........we'll see.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


GreyMornes wrote:

a pain though as i like phoniex viewer better then firestorm and its no longer updated. i find the text in firestorm harder to read for some reason. Ugh.   I just hope this update actually fixes the loading issues ........we'll see.

 

 

so change it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried another TPV other than Firestorm?  The Firestorm mac client is so slow, and the new one with support for SSB only runs for about 5 minutes before it goes into terminal slowdown.  You should try Dolphin or another TPV to see if it works for you.  Dolphin does fine on my 5 year old MacBook Pro with GF9600 graphics.  Well, at least OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...