Clothing appears to others, but not to avatar. See MISC-3872.

J8 Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It is clearly not a viewer problem.  The JIRA noted in the subject line appears to have had no acitivity for two or three years.  In our personal experience, the problem has been around for over a year.  Were I to submit a JIRA, I suspect that the only activity would be "Yeah, I get that too," from others.  The suggestions in 3872 do not work.  We are willing to cooperate with someone from LL, but our Second Life time is a little limited.

As a retired, out-of-date computer programmer, I think these facts might be useful:

• Clothing appears to the person wearing it on his or her viewer, but does not appear to any others.
  • Prim clothing always appears.
  • Rebaking does not do anything about the problem
  • Removing and restoring an item of clothing does not do anything about the problem
  • Logging off and back on does not do anything about the problem

We have had this problem with every viewer we have tried, although at the moment we are using the Phoenix viewer.  (Of course, I do not see how it could be viewer related, since no-one sees the clothing, and the community at large must be using a variety of viewers and versions of viewers.)

I have not even bothered to obtain available viewer source, as I do not have the background necessary (I doubt if the viewers use Fortran.) :-)  I have to believe, though, that "appearing to me, but not to others" would limit the regions of code that would have to be considered.

Thank you for your patience.

2 answers to this question

The Jira you quoted is a very old one but if you opened a new Jira, other residents could not comment as Linden Lab do not permit that anymore.

If you Google this problem, you'll find a number of threads in the same vein as yours and it is a bake fail issue as Ansariel said. Bake fail has numerous causes and solutions and you'll just have to find the one that fixes it for you. Phoenix seems to be mentioned in more threads than other viewers and MISC-3872 began with the OP using its forerunner, Emerald. I recall one comment somewhere suggesting that hacked LL 1.23 viewers were more prone to this than other viewers but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

Here is an example of a solution that one responder suggested (a simple character test) and it worked for the OP in this thread but it may not work for others. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/I-see-myself-dressed-others-see-me-naked/qaq-p/695488 

I would suggest you uninstall all viewers using an uninstaller such as Revo to remove all traces then install only one viewer such as LL v3 and see what happens.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.