Teleport and Uploading Errors

Steampunk Starship

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For some time now, I have been experiencing several errors. Whenever I try to upload anything, a message is displayed that says "Unable to upload asset." If I try to teleport to another area, I am immediately logged out of Second Life. I can log in at other locations, but cannot teleport from them. I have tried uninstalling Second Life and doing a clean install, using a different viewer (Firestorm) and clearing the cache. The problem still persists after two weeks. Could someone please help me resolve this issue?

It sounds like you have a wonky Internet connection.  First, get off wireless, if you have been on it.  That will give you more bandwidth to work with and will eliminate some kinds of interference from nearby cell phones, garage door openers, fluorescent light fixtures, your neighbor's TARDIS .....  Then try rebooting your router, which is often the weak link in an Internet connection.  Just unplug it from the power fior a few minutes to clear its RAM and let it get a fresh grasp on an IP address.  If that still doesn't work, try temporarily bypassing the router by plugging your computer's Internat cable directly into the modem.  If that clears things up, you have a bad router. 

Other suggestions for dealing with connection issues >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

These errors and TP difficulties have been happening for me for the last 3 weeks or so even with a 40MB connection in the UK.  However one thing to note is that  tests of the connection to Dallas do show that they seem to consistantly have problems at the Dallas end so it may not be your connection at all that is the problem.

Yes, ping times to the Dallas servers always seem to be longer than the ones to San Francisco.  One of the weakest links in routing is Atlanta, where things slow down for some reason.  If you are in the UK, your ping times are already longer than people in North America experience (150ms or higher), so that extra slowdown can be enough to make your viewer time out.  There's not much that you can do about it, unfortunately, except get on your ISP's case.

It sounds like you have the "DNS bug".

Symptoms of that include inability to upload any asset and disconnection on teleport.

The workaround is to switch over to using Google public DNS .

Queen Kellee has some nicely written info on this bug.

For reference:

VWR-26759 : Avatar does not appear to be fully connected to inworld grid / major loss of functionality

VWR-25426 : Friendlist displays users as Unknown or (loading), teleports fail, assets will not save

Hope that helps  :)

If that does not work, another thing to try is disabling HTTP Textures.

If your connection/router has problems with HTTP data, it can choke and disconnect you and the symptoms can be very similar to the DNS bug symptoms.

On Viewer 3 or Firestorm: From the login screen, use CTRL+ALT+D to being up the Debug menu in the top menu bar then Debug -> Debug settings -> ImagePipelineUseHTTP -> set to FALSE

Restart the viewer and login.

If this does not help at all, set ImagePipelineUseHTTP back to TRUE again as it is best left enabled if not causing you any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.