Region Handshake (Yes, that again)

EmmeDee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, Like many before me I am having the "region handshake/trouble connecting" issue. I once had a SL account years ago with no problems, but this is a new account, made today, and I have not been able to connect once. I am using Windows 7 64b and I have so far been trying to use wireless but I will try wired this evening (though I thought that the reason people say not to use wireless was more an issue of performance as opposed to logging in). I only have Windows Firewall and have done the suggested firewall fixes a million times. I have also tried every basic suggested fix I could find in the forums and on the web, but I am waiting to hear if my IP address is static or not, as that is a fix I haven't tried. I've restarted both my computer and my modem (and SL), changed things around that I didn't know existed (something with config and flushing something or the other) and tried to figure out if my Westell Verizon modem/router has its own firewall I wasn't aware of (it doesn't seem to). I've researched PeerGuardian and the other one, which seemed to be a fix for some and realized it's a Mac issue. I've even gone through the posts of people who appeared to have the same problem and clicked on their profiles to try to see if they ever posted after their initial issues (sadly, most hadn't). I've literally done all I can figure to do. At this point I'm ready to just uninstall the program but I really wanted to at least get a glimpse of how it's changed since all those years ago. Any help is appreciated and thanks for letting me let off some steam after about a full workday of trying to figure the problem out alone!

Please post your computer specs and the name and version of the viewer you are using here. It is hard to figure out the problem without that information.

You can get all that info without logging in by starting your viewer and then going to HELP above your splash screen and choosing ABOUT <name of viewer>.  Just copy and paste them.

Thanks for your response! I've tried it with at least two computers; I might have tried three. The computer that I'm currently on has the following specs and I can try to edit the post or re-reply with the other computers' specs tomorrow. Thanks for any help you can give. CPU: AMD V140 Processor (2294.27 MHz) Memory: 1787 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.14.0001.6099 OpenGL Version: 3.2.9704 Compatibility Profile Context libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0 Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Vivox Built with MSVC version 1600

• 1 year later...

This are my specs:

Second Life 3.7.4 (288138) Mar 15 2014 17:10:17 (Second Life Release)

Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2557M CPU @ 1.70GHz (1700 MHz)

Memory: 4096 MB

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.2 Darwin 13.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.1.0: Thu Jan 16 19:40:37 PST 2014; root:xnu-2422.90.20~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Inc.

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 INTEL-8.24.11

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0

Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Built with GCC version 40201

I tried cleaning the cache, reinstalling, resetting and rebooting the router but nothing worked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.