Is it possible to join multiple objects that are already mapped and keep the UV maps separated ?

Alexandra Barcelos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to join multiple objects that are already mapped and keep the UV maps separated ?

Per example i made a collar but i want to join the 4 parts togeter , the thing is that when i do so the mesh becomes 1 uv map only wich i dont want , and i tried making a new uv map for the merged mesh but its impossible or my patience doesnt allow me to do so . 

So is there a way to merge them and keep all maps ?

P.s. Using Blender

You can assign the different parts to different materials, and then, when you join the meshes together, the separate materials can still use the original UV maps, just apply them to the individual "faces".

Or, you can use the materials to help you untangle and re-arrange the UV maps of the individual parts to fit neatly on a single texture. 

It might help to remember that a "UV map" is nothing more than the association of each of the 3D vertices of triangles in the mesh surface with points in a 2D texture plane. This tells the graphics harware to take that triangle from the texture an stretch it over the associated triangle of the 3D mesh.

If two parts of the mesh belong to different faces in SL (different materials in the 3D package), to which different textures are applied, then the relationship between the triangles composing those parts, in the independent 2D texture planes, has no effect, because they refer to different textures.

On the other hand, if they are the same face (material), then overlapping triangles will receive overlapping parts of the texture. That requires either careful design of the UV maps and textures (stacking) or keeping the triangles non-overlapping.

So, as long as you are going to apply different textures to each of the combined parts, which will be different faces in SL, all you have to do is make sure they use different materials in the model. Then there will be no conflict between their UV maps, whether they appear to overlap or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.