Whats Hot and Whats Not. [ Firestorm Vs. SLViewer]

Miserlie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't remember when was the last time I used SLViewer... I have FS and Niran's installed and most of the time I use FS, before it was Niran's because it had some nice features that helped me with making photos but since latest FS got phototools both of them are ok for me now. Guess I am just lazy to change them:)

I use the official V3 viewer except for the rare occasions when I need something that Phoenix does and the V3 doesn't do, such as temp uploads and a button to get the UUID of an object or prim.

I've no idea if FS matches the V3's buttons system, but, for me, the V3's buttons are knockout.

I had to make myself use the keyboard for camera movements, because the V3's cam controls are much too intrusive, but I'm used to it now.

Neither nor. As a bandwith challenged user from the 3rd world I found Singularity viewer to work best for me. It renders so much faster and gives me a much better framerate than any other viewer. Singularity is known to be THE Action Viewer and is used by a majority of car and bike racers, by sailors and pilots. Also it's the choice for SL oldbies since it still features the V1 GUI which most of us prefer over V2 clunkyness.

Of course Sing isn't as feature-rich as FS but it renders mesh, has a radar and all the stuff one needs in daily life.

Most of the time I use Firestorm though it often feels they've gone way overboard with the features.  If SLViewer could copy-paste object properties while building I'd probably use it a lot more.  Don't know why someone hasn't created versions of their viewer geared for specific activities, for example a builder's edition for the builders, driver's edition for the vehicle drivers and sailors etc, an adult's edition for .... well, you know :smileywink:

Firestorm because in addition to uploading mesh with it, it has other indispensible features for creating mesh and running a business that I think V3 does not, such as:

Autoresponse

Copy position, size, rotation

Restore to Last Position

Pie Menu

Radar 

And a bunch of other thoughtful, convenient features but the above are the non negotiable ones for now.

Firestorm crashes for me about once a day, but even when it was crashing many times a day, it was still the best tool for my work.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

Most of the time I use Firestorm though it often feels they've gone way overboard with the features.  If SLViewer could copy-paste object properties while building I'd probably use it a lot more.  Don't know why someone hasn't created versions of their viewer geared for specific activities,
for example a builder's edition for the builders,
driver's edition for the vehicle drivers and sailors etc, an adult's edition for .... well, you know :smileywink:

I think about this all the time. There is a lot of stuff I never use, but no handy UPLOAD button!

I primarily use Firestorm.  Use SLV if I am trouble shooting a problem / determining if the root cause is the SL base code or something else.

Two biggest features I like are command line control of draw distance and quick access to turning name tags on and off.

I don't understand LL'd stubborn refusal to make things like the camera hud(? - is hud the right word?) resizeable.   It is obnoxious in the official viewer and I always have it up.

I always use firestorm now.

I've heard a lot of people say they like singularity because of the GUI. But firestorm has that same option. Actually firestorm offers a few options as far as that goes and it's pretty customizable. That's a big part of why I like it. I can make it look however I want, without much issue. I am a man of habit, so having my V1 "look", with all the bells and whistles I need(and the ones I don't turned off), is pretty cool to me.

I have a higher crash rate with any of the Sl viewers. I always have. I've tried to figure out why, to no avail. I'm really not certain what it is with my pc(and the others I also own and have tried) that disagrees with it so very much. But they clearly do not get along.

My crash rate with firestorm is virtually non-existant.

Miserlie wrote:

So singularity doesn't support media on prim ? And it supports multiple alpha/tattoo layers right ?

I heard firestorm was just really on a high crash rate/ its really complicated to learn. But i'll try all of these tonight.

no, it doesn't support media on a prim and yes multiple alpha/tattoo layers. I used firestorm until I had to put my good computer in the shop, and I never crashed with it, and believe me it wasn't that hard to learn. Once I get my computer back, I'm going back to firestorm. I love it!

Firestorm in Phoenix mode all the way !

Edit: I have Singularity as well, but I like it lots less, reason for this is some things if I wear them

in Fire/Phoenix they are okay, but in Singularity they become buggy and start to glitch,

which drives me absolute bonkers.

Miserlie wrote:

So i tried firestorm and i love it, not hard to learn at all. no crashes, lag nothing. should have switched earlier.

but one thing, what does the message "bridge created" actually mean, really curious about this.

It's an object that attaches to your avatar.  It does so on the "bridge" attachment point so I don't believe it takes up a spot that you'd otherwise have.  It's used to provide some of the features of Firestorm.

There's more info here:  http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bridge

You can see the script in the bridge object:

1. Bring up Inventory --> #Firestorm --> #LSL Bridge
  2. Right-click #Firestorm LSL Bridge v2.3 and pick Edit
  3. On the edit window, go to the Content tab.
  4. Double-click the script to view/edit it

I'm not sure what happens if you edit it.  I don't know if it will automatically revert back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.