Second Life/Firestorm - Waiting for Server Response?

Alice Beedit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I can't log on with either the normal viewer or Firestorm, but text viewers work fine. I keep getting the message (Waiting for Server Response) whenever I try using one of the viewers. Any way to help?

EDIT - It's for a laptop that's run SL fine for 3 years now.

EDIT 2 - Alrighty, updating the graphics data for my PC (as suggested in another thread) has allowed Firestorm to work, but regular SL is not working at all now - the viewer won't even load up. 

6 answers to this question

Text viewers? Are you trying to run Second Life or Firestorm on iPad or Android tablet? Well you won't be able to run these viewers on such devices. You'll need a computer for that. 

If it's not what you meant, please edit your post. Use "Options" > "Edit" at the top right corner of your question to add text, or press "permalink" under a reply to post a comment. 

• Like 1

It's impossible to say without knowing anything at all about your computer.  If you can get text-only viewers to work but not viewers with any graphics, my guess would be that you are using a computer that does not meet SL's minimum standards.  A mobile computer, perhaps?  A tablet?

If you'd like to tell us about your computer and its Internet connjection, we might be able to offer some suggestions.  Click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question here and select EDIT. Please do NOT start a new thread.

So the Second Life Viewer does not receive an acknowledgement from the server. The usual cause of this error is a firewall blocking UDP packets. Reconfigure your firewall to resolve this problem.
For information on how to configure firewalls, see: Using Second Life with a firewall.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

You may also check if any updates are available for your graphics card. See the manufacturer's official web site (ATI, Nvidia or Intel).

That was quick! Thank you for the additional information. Well, you do have a machine that ought to run V3, if you have been able to coax it into running on Firestorm. Have you tried using the free Google D N S servers? The symptoms you describe are often associated with a failure to connect properly. I am not on my home machine right now, so I can't grab the URL easily, but you can get it with a quick Internet search.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.