Blocking photo taking

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From the Linden Lab Official:Snapshot and machinima policy

Snapshots may be taken anywhere.  However a land owner can prohibit all snapshots on their land or require permission. If you have such a notice and people take a pic on your land anyway, you can AR them If you don't own the whole sim though, you can't really stop them from taking a pic that includes your property.  In this case you may want to talk to your estate owner about restricting snapshots in the covenant.

Think about it for a second. It's on my screen !!! Of course I can save that to my harddisk and of course you will never know about. (except someone uses the viewer snapshot with snapshot sound still on)

So thats the facts, everyone can take snapshots whenever they want and you'll never know.

Ok, what does that mean?

In RL you can't use photos without permissions if the photos show a person. But in SL? I don't know of any laws in my country that would limit usage.

The TOS can probably forbid taking photos, but there is no practical use. If I TP to you and take pics you can tell me afterwards that taking pictures are forbidden but you cant even proof that I made pictures, not even Lindens have proof. hmmmm? So what now?

I suggest to live with that and don't connect your RL with SL so if ever found in an inappropriate situation it doesn't matter. :D

There is one way to make this happen. But there are also many other people who do same so you may need to try really hard. The secret is in making your residence so unappealing that noone even thinks of taking any snapshots there :P 

Now serious, why you want to do this? It should compliment you that someone finds your residence so nice that they want to take snapshots there. 

I'm sure there's a hall of shame somewhere and people traveling the grid looking for such ugly places :smileytongue:

There is a way, and that's building your home in a skybox with very thick walls (so people can't cam through them) and putting it in a private (non mainland) sim with flying disabled, locking the sim to public access, AND having a security orb set to several hundred meters around the skybox that ejects with 0 warning time.

Of course anyone you invite over can still make snapshots, but if you're such an antisocial person that you don't want people to have a memento of their visit to you you're not the kind of people who has friends to invite over in the first place so all you have to worry about is random people passing by and those will be stopped by this.

jwenting wrote:

I'm sure there's a hall of shame somewhere and people traveling the grid looking for such ugly places :smileytongue:

There is a way, and that's building your home in a skybox with very thick walls (so people can't cam through them) and putting it in a private (non mainland) sim with flying disabled, locking the sim to public access, AND having a security orb set to several hundred meters around the skybox that ejects with 0 warning time.

Of course anyone you invite over can still make snapshots, but if you're such an antisocial person that you don't want people to have a memento of their visit to you you're not the kind of people who has friends to invite over in the first place so all you have to worry about is random people passing by and those will be stopped by this.

My guess is she doesn't want people taking pictures when she is pixelating.

jwenting wrote:

I stumbled across a blog written by a woman who began SL approximately the same time I did in 2007 and has blogged regularly since then.  I'm working my way through reading it from the beginning because some of the places, avatar looks, situations, etc. are nostalgic for me and I find it fun reading.

Oh, back on point...so awhile later this blogger began another blog that consisted of photos of avatar fashion disasters she encountered during her travels around SL. (Some of the *were* priceless - like people who had bling attached to anything that could bling.)  A black bar was placed over the avatar's eyes on the posted photos, I'm assuming to make it harder to identify the avatar or to somehow "protect their identity."  I don't see that it did much good, but I wondered if that is some kind of "photography code" of which I'm unaware.

jwenting wrote:

...There is a way, and that's building your home in a skybox with very thick walls (so people can't cam through them) and putting it in a private (non mainland) sim with flying disabled, locking the sim to public access, AND having a security orb set to several hundred meters around the skybox that ejects with 0 warning time.

LOL there isn't a prim in SL that I can't cam through.  Where did you ever get that idea?

Putting your home on a private sim and not allowing access to it is the only way to stop this without relying on people following the rules.  If you do this, there is no need for a security orb or a skybox.  If someone tries to TP they just won't get there.  They will get a message that they are not authorized to  have access to the sim.

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

I was told some viewers will tell people when a photo has been taken on their land. Put up a sign saying no photos here and put it in About Land. If your viewer tells you someone ignored it you can report them, if it's that important to you.

It is possible to tell if somebody is taking a snapshop if they have the snapshot animation enabled (quiet snapshots to disc are disabled). In case of quiet snapshots, there is no way to notice anybody taking a picture.

Nova Convair wrote:

In RL you can't use photos without permissions if the photos show a person. 

Not true.  If the picture is in a public place then the subject has no claim to privacy of that data, the data being the picture about them.

It would make it rather hard for journalists don't you think? 

Not true, Nova. The law may vary from country to country but in Germany you can't take photos of a person, no matter where they are, without permission. Exception are groups (for example a protest march or something) or if they are not the main focus of the photo; if I take a photo of say a busy marketplace or town square I just can't avoid having people in the picture.

Completely excempt are persons of public interest. Only place you're not allowed to shoot them is on their private property.

In the UK it's a whole different ballgame tho, paparazzi there are known to climb trees or camp on the front lawn of VIPs, and even to shoot thru their windows.

Yes yes, you can take all kind of pictures in RL. Question is how you can use them? If you plan to show them on a webpage you have to keep in mind the personality rights of persons for every picture. Not all fall under that and the countries have different laws too but you should know what you do or might get into trouble.

But are there any rights for avatars? Guess not.

That "Official" Linden Labs policy on Snapshots and Machinima is only a guidline for keeping copyright licenses in Second Life and has nothing to do with personal snapshots or recordings. Read it. People can take all of the personal snapshots and recordings of you and your property they want and there is nothing that you can do about it unless their snapshots and recordings contain copyrigthed material and they try to use it for their own benefit.

Now if your land has a no-snapshot policy and you have banned an avatar for violating that policy and the avatar keeps trying to circumvent the ban, then maybe there is something that you can do, but I still doubt it. It is impossible to impose a ban on snapshots and recordings in Second Life in general because you cannot prove somebody is taking snapshots or not period. Second Life can neither dtect if a computer is using screen capture technology outside of the viewer nor can it block that from happening.

EDIT: On a side note, just think of the paparazzi and celebrities. There is absolutely nothing a celebrity can do to stop paparazzi from "stalking" them just to get a pictures to sell later for profit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.