Any chance I could get banned for this?

Sara Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I ever find a copybot viewer, is there any chance I could get banned if I use it just to customize some attachments I have that are no-mod? I would never of course sell or even give away for free anything I copy. Might I add that I have not done this, nor do I even have a copybot viewer. I'm just wondering if doing so could get me banned. I'm pretty sure it would, but I'm asking here just in case.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• As long as you use that viewer to make backups / copies of stuff you created yourself you have nothing to worry about.
  • If you copy somebody elses stuff, you need explicit permission from them.
  • If you copy somebody elses stuff and you don't have their explicit permission to do so, you are liable to be reported and banned. I think that also counts when not redistributing or sharing your copies.

MyAlt4099 wrote:

If I ever find a copybot viewer, is there any chance I could get banned if I use it just to customize some attachments I have that are no-mod? I would never of course sell or even give away for free anything I copy.
Might I add that I have not done this, nor do I even have a copybot viewer.
I'm just wondering if doing so could get me banned. I'm pretty sure it would, but I'm asking here just in case.

circumventing the permissions system is grounds for banning yes

You do not 'own' the item, only a license to use it.  The creator owns all rights still and can set any license terms they wish when they sell items in SL. That license can be the permission system and/or any other terms that creator published.  You agreed under the TOS to this arrangement when you created your account and you agreed to the item in question being no mod when you bought it.  You cannot now decide that you don't like the terms and ignore them.

So yes you can get banned for this.  In addition to being banned, you could also be taken to RL court for violating the creators IP rights and have a world of trouble in RL as a result.

SID Riler, this account started off as an alt, hence the name, but now I use it as my main account. I wish I could change the name.

Also, I would think modifying an item I purchased (a license to) even if it says "no modify" would be considered fair use, as long as I'm not making any money off of it, or preventing the creator from doing the same.

Of course the TOS is another issue entirely, since I am still using Linden Lab's service, but in practice do they really take action against people using things like that as long as they aren't doing so unfairly? Basically, even if it is technically against the rules, would they actually do anything about it, so long as I'm not negatively affecting anyone else?

MyAlt4099 wrote:

Basically, even if it
is
technically against the rules, would they actually
do
anything about it, so long as I'm not negatively affecting anyone else?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

or

Can one also get away with it when complying to your motives and actions as you described ? Sure.

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

A woodchuck would chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck can’t chuck wood. :robottongue:

TDD123 wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

A woodchuck would chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck can’t chuck wood. :robottongue:

But if a woodchuck could chuck and would chuck some amount of wood, what amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

But if a woodchuck could chuck and would chuck some amount of wood, what amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Even if a woodchuck could chuck wood and even if a woodchuck would chuck wood, should a woodchuck chuck wood? :robotindifferent:

TDD123 wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

Even if a woodchuck could chuck wood and even if a woodchuck would chuck wood, should a woodchuck chuck wood? :robotindifferent:

A woodchuck should chuck wood if a woodchuck could chuck wood, as long as a woodchuck would chuck wood.

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

A woodchuck should chuck wood if a woodchuck could chuck wood, as long as a woodchuck would chuck wood.

Oh, chucktfu ! :robotfrustrated:

Porky Gorky wrote:

LOL

and that ladies and gentlemen, is how you derail a thread.

well done :matte-motes-big-grin:

Our absent friend will be returning from Hyber Nation in the not too distant future, and he does sometimes take a dim view of those who make disparaging comments about fellow members of the, erm, rodent family.

woodchuck.jpg

And he knows woodchucks with attitude. Like this one.

ps: The Monkey Island games were fun but nothing tops Grim Fandango in my very personal opinion.

Edited for clarity

Dillon Levenque wrote:

ps: The Monkey Island games were fun but nothing tops Grim Fandango

For me i think the Monkey Island games caught me at the right age, around 16. I saw what Grim did to push the boundaries of adventure games, but by the time that came out I was late 20's and didn't really care for those types of games any more. I was more into shooters and RPG's then. 

From a personal enjoyment standpoint, and a standing the test of time standpoint, Baldur's Gate II is the best game of all time IMHO

Porky Gorky wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

ps: The Monkey Island games were fun but nothing tops Grim Fandango

For me i think the Monkey Island games caught me at the right age, around 16. I saw what Grim did to push the boundaries of adventure games, but by the time that came out I was late 20's and didn't really care for those types of games any more. I was more into shooters and RPG's then. 

From a personal enjoyment standpoint, and a standing the test of time standpoint, Baldur's Gate II is the best game of all time IMHO

All together a different era. Swapping floppies ( Insert program disk / Insert save disk / Insert disk 1 / Insert disk 2 / Insert disk 20 ) and and envying capatalists who owned harddrives that had a staggering 100 MB storage capacity.

And then Monkey Island asks you to insert disk 144 ( which no one had ) when entering a hidden passage through a tree trunk. But there's no disk. So everyone was required to cancel. And of course because of the game's title only, everyone went nuts about what was inside that tree trunk.

midisk144.jpg

Hilarious then. Unimaginable now.

Wut ? .. yeah i'm old ... ;P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.