Issues with Blender and parenting...

Austin Clarrington

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried this tutorial (link at bottom), the first time through I got to page 6. Suddenly got to the part about selecting the mHip part in the vertex groups, and all of those were gone this first time through. So I said, I'll download the latest Blender, which is 2.65. I went through the tutorial again, and now I'm stuck on getting the head, torso, and legs mesh to parent to the armature. Its not working, nothing I try is working. I've been dying to learn mesh and do this finally, and the tutorial seem to be the best that I can find, just don't get what I'm doing wrong. The first time through it, I had the armature parented to the mesh parts and it worked fine, just lost the vertex group items. Just don't get what's happening. I've done the step by step thouroughly 6-7 times now and still fails. The tutorial states "Select the head, THEN select the armature, hit CTRL+P to parent them together, in the drop down menu that pops up, select Armature Deform" and its not working now after that upgrade. If you could help anything further, that would be great. Thanks!

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/05/20/second-life-mesh-clothes-blender-2-6-setup-2012-tutorial/1/

I will be posting back pictures of screenshots of everything I'm doing as I do it correclty and tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

Selecting the two items and pressing Ctrl-P is going to parent the objects. You can check if that worked using Blender's properties panel. Select the Object Item in the panel, the cube icon, and look in the Relations section. In the 'Parent' field you should see the object's parent named. If there is no name, you are doing something wrong in the 'parenting.'

If there is a name, then you have it parented correctly. But, if the item is not moving with the parent in Pose Mode, you have the weighting wrong or the vertex groups are misnamed.

I can't think of anything else that would be the problem.

Basically after following the steps, here's what I have...

Blender fully upgraded.

Then I have the Appending files:
BlenderTutorial001.jpg

Set the active layer...
BlenderTutorial002.jpg

Add Domino's object files as "Append"...
BlenderTutorial003.jpg

Adding the 2 missing bone groups...
BlenderTutorial004.jpg

Bone Weight Addon...
BlenderTutorial005.jpg

System preferences with selecting the CUDA and graphics card...
BlenderTutorial006.jpg

Wavefront is enabled as well.

I also did NOT have to delete the extra bone "wings" or also in the tutorial referred to as "handle thingies" as they are just not there to worry about.

Moving items to layer 2 and keeping layer 1 active...
BlenderTutorial007.jpg

Notice, the cursor is still set to (0,0,0).

Importing saved mesh shape...
BlenderTutorial008.jpg

Marking seams and removing doubles...
BlenderTutorial009.jpg

Parenting...
BlenderTutorial010.jpg

And then to rotate the mesh to test parenting...
BlenderTutorial011.jpg

And yes I've gone through and have done all the smaller steps too, such as saving when you're supposed to save, and then reopening while UNCHECKING the box "Load UI" etc, etc, etc......don't know what's happening.

At a loss now....

Oh, and BTW what is the reason that the original avatar.blend is still so popular ? The Avatar-Workbench is an improved version of that file, with all necessary corrections to be used directly for SL and ready made for Blender 2.6. Recently i even added the Avastar default male model to it so you now have 3 base models:

• SL female as derived from the avatar.blend
  • SL male (derived from the Avastar default male)
  • MH female with SL UV Maps (very experimental and inconvenient though)

The only reason why you might want to keep working with the Avatar.blend is when you want to use the shape sliders to morph the female character. However there is an even better solution around since a while which also supersedes the workbench...

Please do not feel like i want to push you away from Domino's work. I appreciate his work as much as almost everybody appreciates it who uses Blender for Second Life. And actually we are working as a team anyways. so ...

Thankyou and the rest of your team .

I'm going to need that again very soon .

I imagine it must have been very akward trying to match the MS mesh UV's to the SL avatar UV's  , I'm curious to see how well it matches so will be uploading that when i have time just to see how " inconvenient " it is :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.