Areas keep downloading/loading over again?

Chrimat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry, this is incorrect. 

A video game whose environment is limited to what the game developers created can do this.  But in SL, literally thousands and thousands of new things are created every day by residents and what is on a sim at any given moment can change very frequently as people redo landscaping, put up different buildings, rearrange things, change their colors and textures etc.  Your computer's hard drive would be taken over by SL if it stored the information for each area on your computer. 

Yes but does this apply to the popular public destinations too, I have been playing for about a week (you can tell by my noobiness) and some areas I visted have not changed but redownload?

So I guess it's an endless download :/ what would an average broadband download speed be to be able to run SL well?

You have to change the way of thinking, when it comes to SL. A region or the stuff in draw range is never fully downloaded,
even if everything is downloaded. Sounds strange, but there is always something, that changes. Being it another avatar,
being it an automated feature, e.g. a duck doing circles on a pond. Therefor the client must constantly synchronize
with the server - And every other client, which has an avatar in draw range. That's why there is constant traffic going
in and out. However, this movement traffic is relatively small, so staying inworld for hours is not a problem.

I did some experiments and Second Life was usable down to 5MBit without any issues, with slightly longer waiting times
until everything rezzed it was usable down to 3MBit. You should not go below that if it can be avoided. Low ping times are a plus as well.
If you have to use a wireless connection or Wifi, make sure, that you have a stable reliable signal with good signal strength.

You actually do have a little control over this, when you visit a location in SecondLife all of the data your client needs to render it is downloaded into your local cache, you have the option to increase the amount of cache you want to allocate in your preferences. Increasing your cache should help improve performance when you are visiting places you have been to recently. The other posters are completely correct in pointing that SecondLife is very different from other games that are mostly played in a fixed environment, it definitely can take patience sometimes. If you have not done so already you might also want to try pushing your Maximum Bandwidth setting up to 1200 or so as well.

i think i know what the problem is, it seems you have very low cache specified for your videocard, or your hard drive, try increasing it going to preferences (ctrl+p) then go to the tab "Graphics", then to the button "Hardware" , and increase the "Texture Memory", that should prevent the viewer from downloading things over and over too much, also you can increase the hard disk cache going to "Preferences", then to the tab "Advanced", and you can increase the cache size so the places you have been before dont download that much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.