Help! First time renting out a house on my land...

RubyRoja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there :) So sorry if this is an insanely newbieish question... but need an answer:

I have a piece of land and just created my first rental.  I want to list it somewhere... but are there any realty agencies that allow this sort of thing? I don't want to spend my time trying to find a renter ... is there anywhere to list them like on boards somewhere in world?

Thanks so much for your help and/or pointing me in the right direction :)

~Ruby

Hi, well first, if you don't want to spend your time finding a renter, I hesitate to ask if you can find the time to take care of the renter's needs and be available if they need something. I have not heard of any reality agency, that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. You can take out a classified, or post in the proper area of the forum. I would list all the information about your rental so the prospective renter doesn't have to guess.

You only get what you put in to rentals and the market is competative as there are many great rentals that offer a variety of perks and low cost per prim, also being a great landlord that puts their renters first.

eta: comment

Thanks Malanya, all good points and thanks for answering.

Which is the correct place to post just about rentals and offering them?  I see different categories, but mine is purely a rental which gets deeded rights on my estate... so do I post under estate then?  Sorry... again, first time posting around this area.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Having recently tried to reduce my tier by renting out a bit of property I have learned a little which might be some help.

You can advertise in the forums, and you can put "For rent" in the property title and description. You can also buy different "rental boxes" that can be placed at the rental site and/or different locations that will take care of the mechanics of renting. You can list your rental business on the Marketplace, with a link to your "real estate office" if you have one. You can put a discreet sign on the property itself if there is any traffic in the area. You can pay extra to have the rental placed in "search", and that is how I found the first place I rented in Second Life.

In order for renters to get access to the rental (place items, etc...) I believe they have to be members of your group. I think some landlords have it set up so the rental boxes do that automatically, but if you have to do it by hand I feel you should refund any rent paid before the renters have full access.

There is a lot of information on the Wiki and in past forum articles, and you might try looking at the big real estate companies' set-ups to see how they handle things. 

I have decided it is not in my nature to be a good landlord, but I wish you the best of luck.

yw Ruby :) I am not sure where a good place to post is, when we had our rental biz it was built over 3 years and mainly word of mouth and 4 sims. I helped with the business and it took a lot of my time but I was able to swing it due to my rl work situation. RL issues forced the closing of the rentals so I am not sure what the regular rate per prim is now and if you are on Mainland or a private estate. I wish I knew more of where you could post this, I would guess maybe in the land forum here under the correct subforum?

I mentioned that about being able to give time to renters as there is alot involved, yes we grew to a large company, but even with 5 renters it was always something they needed and as a good landlord you want to be able to help them as soon as you can lol which sometimes is hard :) I wish you luck in your venture and hope it gives you what you expect!

Rufferta wrote:

In order for renters to get access to the rental (place items, etc...) I believe they have to be members of your group. I think some landlords have it set up so the rental boxes do that automatically, but if you have to do it by hand I feel you should refund any rent paid before the renters have full access.

This is true only for mainland or if you don't own a private estate.  If you own the estate though you can set the land up so your tenants can't sell the land but otherwise have full ownership rights.  Then transfer it to them. When the tenancy ends you simply reposses it and put it up for rent again.  This is the most popular way to rent private estate land, since it gives the tenant access to everything and they can set the land to their own group or even deed it to their group with your help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.