please explain how this spam works

Mikki Miles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

my first goal is to get that spam off of the front page, but actually I'd like to know, how that *** spammer benefits from what he is doing.

I think, turkish residents are a minority here, but apparently it must habe been of some use for him to post that turkish spam the last days. Can somebody expain?

Hm? You can't do anything since this is not your forum. Only someone with administration rights can remove threads. LL is doing it as fast as they can, but I agree so far that is has gotten worse in the last weeks.

There is no "him/her" behind the spam. Those are bots spamming where ever they can. Spam is always useless and often misplaced because thats what definies spam. Its useless and unquestioned.  It is not always turkish spam, most of it is english and about TV and football matches. Still useless garbage.

I remember a private forum where out of a sudden bots appered and postet total offtopic spam about fashion.

actually the moderators are very fast, some recent spam postings have been removed within 2 minutes.

Still I want to know how somebody can profit from posting turkish text (assuming that bots can't profit at all...), combined with some video links (I didn't follow, so don't know the content)...

Someone must be paying them to do it.  They probably get paid by the number of messages posted.  Who is paying is unknown.  But ask yourself who would benefit by driving viewers to watch and you'll probably figure out a list of candidates.  For the football ones, it could be the NFL, the network carrying the game, an advertiser that wants you to see their ad, one of the teams playing, the tourism board for the city where it is played etc. etc..

Because they are bots doing it and probably registering with fake or disposable email addresses there is no way to know for certain who is behind it.  I bet they are even using a proxy to hide their ISP so they can't be traced that way.

I'm very sure, the spammers are promoting illegal streaming. The soccer games advertised were on public tv in the UK,
but in other countries, these games are on Pay-TV/Pay per view. It wouldn't surprise me, if someone is streaming off a
pay-tv-box and asks for money to watch these illegal tv-streams.

They're posting it here because registering is fast and easy. It's a way to get in Google if the spammer gets lucky and the moderator stopped for dinner. They don't care if the forum users can understand it. Old forum wasn't in Google so this didn't happen much.

Mikki Miles wrote:

actually the moderators are very fast, some recent spam postings have been removed within 2 minutes.

Still I want to know how somebody can profit from posting turkish text 
(assuming that bots can't profit at all...)
, combined with some video links (I didn't follow, so don't know the content)...

is called point oh marketing. if can send out 1,000,000 marketing devices (spam) and get point oh five clicks (500) then is profitable when get paid per click. like a $1 or 50c or less even per click sometimes

is some data on email spam here: http://www.gadget.co.za/pebble.asp?relid=5773

whats happening is that as email blocking getting more efficient the point oh crews changing to other methods. like pushing into blogs forums socialnets etc

+

lots of SL bloggers been reporting recently that their blogs getting way more spammers trying to comment on them than ever before

is probably the same crew targeting them as have been targeting this forum. SL people is a high value target audience. bc as a group they proven to spend money already on the interwebz

It happened on the old forums.  And it happened a lot sometimes but since it was mostly a person behind the spam attacks instead of bots it was easier for the mods to shut them down for a period of time......but they showed back up a day or two later.  The old forums also had anti-spamming filters that made it harder for the 5 to 10 posts per minute that we see now.  We used to fight the spam down by bumping threads up to push the spam to page 2 or 3 which sort of discouraged a lot of the spammers........but now with bots that probably wouldn't be effective anymore (besides the fact that this software doesn't work that way).

On who profits.  My thinking is along the line of illegal streaming.  But also there's a very good possibility that those sites are phishing sites full of mal-ware.  You couldn't pay me to click on one of those links.  But I bet some do and if my suspicion is correct we hear about it here in the forums by some of those "I've been hacked" threads.

Most are data mining. They get paid, when they use personal information collected, at a later date.

A few, have found some type of get paid to bring traffic.

Some is just grief.

If a City has internet access, it probably has a Police Station.

In most of the cases, it's just not worth the cost required, to serve Process.

It's amazing what this community has come to use the word 'bots' for. Everything is called a bot.

'Bot' is short for 'robot', and a robot is a machine. In SL, it's a virtual machine, usually in the form of an avatar. Bots don't post spam in forums. Computer programmes do. So the thing that posts the spam is a computer programme and not a bot.

Having said that, the search engine spiders are programmes that are commonly called robots. They are the programmes that get pages from the web to index them. Every website can control what they do within the site, by using a text file called 'robots'txt'. Only bad spiders ignore the robots.txt file. Spider programmes crawl the web; i.e. get a page from one site and follow any links that are on it. Then get the pages at the end of those links and follow any links that are on them, and so on. So they can be thought of as automatically making it up as they go along, and they may merit the word 'robot'.

But a forum spamming programme doesn't do anything like that. It simply posts in the forums on its list and is just like any other basic computer programme. So, like other basic computer programmes, such as Internet Explorer, viewers, etc., they are not bots :)

The OP asked why they do it in Turkish. The language is irrelevant because every language has people on the web who speak it, and forums cover people over the entire world. They do it for 2 reasons. One is to get people to click on the link(s) in the post, so that someone makes a profit. The other is to post the links because search engines index the forum pages that contain the links and credit the target pages because of the links, which causes the search engine rankings of the target pages to improve.

Somewhere in this world is a computer, a machine, who sends out the spam. The computer is controlled by a software and fills out the orders it gets...just like a robot.

The new definition of a bot isn't close to the one of a robot (seen as something you can touch and such), but its senseless to discuss about it since everyone knows what is meant by refering to it as a bot.

Yes I know what is meant, and that everyone understands it. I'm just observing how, in this community, the word 'bot' (robot) has come to be used for everything that is negative (as in spam) and isn't hand-controlled.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Somewhere in this world is a computer, a machine, who sends out the spam. The computer is controlled by a software and fills out the orders it gets...just like a robot.

The computer can't be considered the robot machine, or you'd have to say that everything a computer does is a robot. Your viewer is a bot. Your email client is a bot. Your text editor is a bot. This forum is a bot (it does auto-save). And so on.

Also, much of the spam here has nothing to do with sales, so no computer fills out orders.

It is more complex that that, I have just set up my own 24/7 server system with mail servers, what I found is that at first my static IP was banned from sending emails, seems all are until you agree to conditions, I had to agree that I would only use a static IP and that I would not use other IP's to send mail, (you can set mail servers up to send out mail using other IP's), I also had to agree that I would use the email server as a email server for the reason I stated I was using it for, was told the moment I was thought to be breaking the agreement that my IP would be banned world wide from sending emails, so it is not just setting a mail server and spamming all, seems every mail server is monitored

I would not know as I am new to it, I have no intention of spamming anyone, I got this system to explore the idea of personal world wide grids, I see that as the future, sl and all the OS sims out there are a dieing breed when you can set up a personal grid on your own machines.

PS, there will be a new blog on my server, writing it now with all those wild theory's about cold plasma, covers every topic from matter to life, anyone can comment and don't need to register.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.