How do I stop my internal mic on my lap top from always coming on by itself in voice chat?

Eloise Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My mic in voice always turns on by itself with out me knowing. I have no green marks next to my dot and all controls indicate that voice is turned off. I always have to disable voice because of this. When I do need to listen to someone in voice chat, I enable it. Not 30 seconds later, someone is always in my IM telling me voice is on. If I click it on and off on my end, it will turn off but there is never any saying when it will come back on. I have tried turning down my voice input volume, people can still here me loud as ever. This happens on every viewer I have tired ( Viewer 2, firestorm, phoenix and now I am on singularity). It's so embarassing/frustrating. Please tell me there is a quick fix for this?

5 answers to this question

Elosie,

You have the option in Preferences to set the Chat trigger to your middle mouse button.

Voice dots

Voice-enabled avatars have white "voice dots" floating above their heads (including your own). 

Green or red waves radiating from the voice dot indicate someone is speaking. This is the voice intensity indicator, and also indicates their volume: green indicates the volume is within normal range; red indicates the volume is too loud (causing distortion or clipping).

32px-KBcaution.png

Important: If the voice intensity indicators turn red, then either:

• You're speaking too loudly.
  • The microphone is too close to your mouth.
  • Your microphone's volume control is turned up too far.

Adjust these things until the voice indicator stays green when you speak and seldom flickers to red.

Using toggle-to-speak mode

In toggle-to-speak mode, you turn and off your voice chat microphone by pressing a certain key. To configure toggle-to-speak:

1. Select Me > Preferences > Sound & Media.
  2. Select Toggle speak on/off when I press.
  3. Click Set Key. A popup prompts you to Press a key to set your Speak button.
  4. Press the desired key and click Set Key.
  5. Click OK to save your changes.

Now pressing that key toggles the microphone on or off.

Firestorm works in very much the same way as well.

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_using_voice

I've had this issue with my external webcam mic. Goes on by itself when I teleport. No fix that I know of. Just get yourself in the habit of doing a mic check. Or...

If you only need to hear voice chat (and not be an active speaker), you could just disable the mic (in Device Manager). That shouldn't prevent you from hearing voice chat.

Sounds like you have Toggle to Talk enabled, so when you touch whatever button you have bound to enable the microphone, it stays enabled until you do so again.  Disable this feature and you will need to hold the talk button you defined when you want to speak, similar to the mic switch on a two-way radio.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.