Speedtest: Which servers to test in Dallas, SF, and ?Reston?

Domitan Redenblack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Is that info current? I think LL stopped using one of those three locations kast year.

According to the Firestorm team, it seems they are current. I didn't test them myself but it looks like Domitan did. He could give you an accurate feedback on this. 

Using the URLs show on that page -

At 9.30am GMT (best off-peak time, average from 3 tests each), from London Sky fibre broadband to:

London, 15ms ping, 37 Mbps down, 9 Mbps up

Dallas, 300ms ping, 19 Mbps down, 3.7 Mbps up

Phoenix, 155ms ping, 22 Mbps down, 3.6 Mbps up

Reston VA, 184ms ping, 29 Mbps down, 5.2 Mbps up

Wolf, Domitan and Valerie

There was much made (by LL) of many restarts made necessary by the reduction from 3 server-farms (co-locations in Lindenspeak) to 2.  This work was completed at the end of 2012...or so I was given to understand by the Lab. :smileyindifferent:

If this is NOT the case then perhaps one of the Linden alts that patrol these forums could enlighten us as to what all the disruption was for. :smileysurprised:

I, like many others, would love to know which "co-locations" are actually used by Linden Lab, since it might explain some (though not all) of the dreadful disruption to access that a small, but significant, percentage of European (myself included) users were experiencing lately! :smileyhappy:

Edit to add:  The Dallas ping of 300ms is grim, and my attempts to get reproducible data from ANY of the Dallas servers listed on Speedtest show very spiky connections, not the steady connection speed necessary for the sort of data transfer needed in SL.  I can reproduce your data on the whole, Domitan, also from Southern England (NE Surrey) but via Virgin fibre, but the spiky, variable nature of some responses is worrying.

The servers and their URL and IP Addresses are given in the viewer's Help->About... This allows you to conect to a region with a viewer and then get exact connection information to test to.

IP Address look up will give you geo-location information. 

The consolidation from 3 to 2 data centers is for simulator locations. That does not mean that the Lab has only two data centers for the backside of SL.

My understanding is the asset servers use cloud data storage owned by Amazon's Web Services. So, it can be hard to figure out exactly what is happening or what is where. For securty reasons the Lab doesn't dicuss the actual details, at least not often.

• 10 months later...

I can't help much because it's been ages since I tried using Singularity, so maybe a regular user will come along eventually to give you specifics on that viewer. It matters because your crashing is almost certainly a viewer-side problem, not server-side, and most likely not due to network problems (which was why this thread was about geography).

Considering the circumstances when it seems to crash, I'd guess that it's getting swamped by too much avatar data to render. You may want to try setting a very short draw distance whenever you're in crowded settings, and perhaps change other settings to more aggressively replace complex avatars with imposter sprites to simplify the scene. (In the standard viewer, there are several debug settings under RenderAutoMute* and RenderAvatar* that might help; they're probably in Singularity somewhere, too.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.