Server Weight and Scripts... bah...

Syle Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So this is quiet annoying. It seems that my mesh that I spent time making 1 LI cannot be 1 LI if I want to add scripst into it due to the server weight. I do not understand why it works as such. I understand what it is doing as I read up on it but I don't understand why. On top of physics and mesh they added a third server weight. Maybe it is just me but having 3 different weights with the highest being what the game reads as land impact seems odd.

What are your thoughts on this? Maybe I am a bit late to this topic but I've just come across this myself.

Also is there a way to lower server weight at all? Currently, with scripts, my object has a 1.5 server weight. I figure if I can get the base mesh server weight down even .1 I will lower that 1.5 to 1.4 and it will only count as 1 LI which would be amazing! :D That is if it is possible to lower server weight of a mesh.

yep the whole thing is odd.  Confusing naming doesn't help.  They call it 'land impact' which implies a certain thing but there is of course no such thing as 'land' in the first place.  Scripters are quite at home with this sort of confusion but most people are baffled by it.  What you need to do is conduct experiments, observe the results and thus conclude the best course of action.  The other complication of course is they keep moving the goalposts.  Conduct the same experiment in 6 or even 3 months and you get a different result.  The biggest help I can give is - don't make the mistake of uploading your meshes at too low a quality in the hope of saving lindens and LI.  They will be so poor as to be unusable when you get them on the live grid.  Consider using partial meshes.  Get hold of the premium gifts they've been giving and deconstruct them, you can learn a lot that way :)

"is there a way to lower server weight"

Is your object two linked meshes? Then the server weight would be 0.5 for one without a script and 1.0 for the one with a script(s). If you can join the two mesh parts into a single mesh (doesn't need physical likages), the the server weight of the whole would be 1.0 with the script(s). There are no intermediate server weight values, on;y 0.5 and 1.0. The only reasons I know of for not joining twp meshes into one are (a) you need more than the 8 allowed texturable faces, or (b) you want to animate the two parts differently.

As for why the server weight exists - it's somethinmg to do with inter-object low-level message passing between some scripted objects. That's all I (think I) know. Not all scripts invoke it, but all are penalised for it.

Woot! I knew the answer to this one. You taught me well. *wink*.

Another reason why you might not want to join your linksets together would be to give more options for placement inworld. Often that is NOT the case, I understand, but now and then you might want the ability to move pillows or make one section taller etc. making two version of one thing.  Once they are joined in a dae, the ability to modify is definitely limited.

In actually uploading a linkset is like uploading two individual mesh objects (hope I am getting the terms correct). You DO however save upload costs so if physics isn't an issue you can upload things that won't even go together and then unlink and have them separate in world. If the physics is important then that would be a BAD plan.

I have also noted that not all scripts increase the LI costs so there may be something going on with the complexity of the script. I am SO not a script person. For example (and I just checked this to make sure I was thinking correctly) I have two vases (a mesh linkset) that weigh in at 1 LI for the linked object. I have a fairly complex color and texture change script in there. They are still 1 LI.  So "some" scripts don't seem to count.

Well the object is two seperate meshes, each having a script in them. I don't know about joining the meshses because right now they are set up for color change and I want each section to be able to be a different color. If I was to join the meshes I would need to set up my color HUD to some how have the color changer choose between different faces to change the color. I might be able to do that but need to work it out. As suggested in this thread I will keep testing and see if I can get it back down to 1 LI.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.