Texturing with materials

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to learn how to texture mesh directly in Blender using materials and textures, but so far I haven't been able to get the results I want. Here are 3 problems I've come across:

I've always assumed that textures in the texture tab stack up more or less like layers in photoshop. With that logic in place:

1. I haven't been able to combine two patterns together: one is a tartan patern and the other is a desaturated image of fabric. I want to combine both to make the tartan look more realistic.

2. Taking again the desaturated fabric, I want to be able to colour it/tint it.

3. Finally, the tartan pattern is actually way too big, so I need to rescale it. It is a seamless pattern. SO far, I haven't been able to scale it inside blender.

I do most of my texturing on ambient bakes within a graphics program later so have no idea how the stacked textures work but I can tell you that you can change the SCALE of the texture by stretching the map out in the UV image editor. So once you have marked your seams assuming you do that, and look at your object or a portion of it in the UV image editor window, you can move, stretch, STRAIGHTEN (sigh), the map vertices and watch the corresponding changes on your object in the other window. 

You can stretch the map WAY beyond the borders of your texture. Again, not how I typically work but I had an occasion to actually do that yesterday with a tree that I had no plans of getting an ambient on.

If that doesn't make sense, then some video watching might be in order. I listed some of my favorites in a previous post if I can find it again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.