Leap Motion

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hamlet reported about it on NWN too. He made the same observations as I did when watching the video: it's lagging badly. And you need some kind of 70 US$ controller thingie for it. Also it looks very tiresome and not very exact.

Personally I think LL would be better advised to fix the grid before putting even more shiny non-sensical stuff on it. BTW I can't just see myself geting a sore arm by waving my hand arou din front of my screen. I mean what for do I have that nice and so convenient rodent on my desk which is faster, easier too use, much much cheaper and well, just more cute in general?

A few years ago LL supported the Logitech G15 Keyboard. Even the code worked nicely, after a while they just dropped it.

Another hype and die thing for LL.

Wish they would encourage more Hardware makers to try and test their stuff in SL and not just tease and run.

Right now the most fancy hardware used for SL is a "mouse" :matte-motes-wink:

Monti

I think the Leap Motion devide has more potential than most new-UI gadgets. With Windows 8 having a UI redesigned to work well with a touch screen, this has the potential to add a touch screen to an exiting monitor.

But I am, right now, looking at the old USB-connected game controller I have, and thinking of my experience of getting it to work with SL (it is a very unadventurous device, very like an Xbox or Playstation controller, two sticks and a set of buttons), and what LL have done for such gadgets is, I think, woefully incomplete. Windows makes the control signals available. The SL viewer does not use them well.

I am not expecting any better for this. And the SL viewer, like most of the other desktop software out there, would need a big redesign to work well with a touch screen. It's a much bigger change than just interpreting the movements of the joysticks on a game controller in an SL-useful way.

I like the idea. I can see what the Leap Motion could do. But I am not confident about what Linden Labs would be able to do with it.

I've experienced these kind of "remote gesture" devices for myself. Not this one specifically, but a couple of others. They're fun for a minute, but they're not quite perfect yet. Either this is leaps and bounds ahead of the systems I've tried or your hand has to be at such a precise angle to the sensor it's actually cumbersome.

For the best results, go to a store that has such an item displayed. In fact, make sure it's the exact one you want to spend money on, and try it out before opening your wallet. The technology seems really close, but you'll need to see if you're comfortable with it.

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.