Question about making shirts

NdaCloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When making a shirt, the templates themselves have several layers.  In Gimp you can click on the eyeball next to any layer to turn off that layer - make it so that you can't see it.  I was told that when you're done making your shirt you want to turn off all of the template layers so that you can only see the shirt layer (the layer you were creating).  Then save it as a tga file so you can open it in SL.  

So that's my first question.  When I'm finished with my shirt do I turn off all of the templates layers before saving as a tga file?

And my second question is:  What if I create more than one layer, do I merge them all down into one layer before bring them into SL?  Like, I might have a shirt layer, shadow layer, and a wrinkles layer.  Do they need to be merged into one layer or not?  

Thanks 

Yes you want to turn off the visibility of the template layers before you save as the TGA file for upload to SL.  You also want to turn off any layer you may have created during the making of the clothing item.  For instance, I often create layers that I know I will not be saving for the final file to upload......things like outlines of shapes I might want for creating some part of the item (I have many shapes I've saved over the years that I use in my clothing creating......butterflies, stars, fairies, etc).  You only want the layers showing that make up what you want for the shirt (or clothing item)....everything else should be turned off.  It's always a good idea to save your entire working file for the clothing item (save as XCF......GIMP's native format that saves all layers).  That way, it's easy to recreate your item or modify it later without having to start over from scratch (which, for me, is pretty much impossible).

When you save the TGA file you'll get a message that TGA format does not support multiple layers and you must "export" instead.  You'll be given the option to "merge" the layers or "flatten".  Choose merge to preserve the alpha channel (transparency).  Flattening removes the alpha channel and therefore removes the transparency (which will be replaced with the background color you have set on the color palet).  Without the alpha channel the system clothing (not prim or mesh clothing) will have that, usually, white where transparency should be.......such as sleeves on a sleevless top, and white up to the neck where you wanted a scoop neck.  The TGA file, once saved is a single layer.....just upload the final TGA file and you're set. 

Have fun.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.