hello, i have a question

Laxmadur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi, i just signed up with second life, my name is andri and im from iceland.

i am wondering, i would like to build a little house, and put my paintings on the wall( i have it on jpg files on my computer)

it would only be a small room, perhaps 10x10 meters in the second life world.

it only needs to be a square and very simple design.

is this possible and if so how can i do this?

He's just playing, yes you can make or get a little house and put your pictures on the wall. 

What you are interested in is Building and Texturing.

Second Life Content Creator's Guide

Textures Overview

Buying Land

Second Life Wiki

Those are just the tip of the iceberg, there are many many many more resources available.

HI Lax,

What you want is possible and relatively easy. I say relatively becasue actually doing things in Second Life can be a bit complicated, so it's easy relative to what you can do. In simple terms you need to:

1. Get some land,
  2. Add a building to it,
  3. create (or buy) some picture frames,
  4. upload your pictures ( the jpg files),
  5. apply the pictures to the picture frames.

To Get Land

There are 2 simple choices. Option 1 is to get a Premium Account from Linden Lab. Option 2 is to rent some land (or a house) from another resident. For option 1, you can get a "Linden Home" which would be the house you wanted (a bit bigger than 10x10) and should meet your needs short term. The premium account costs you $10 a month if you pay monthly or $6 a month if you pay for a year up front (there's also a 3 month opion). For option 2 it really depends on who you rent from but you will most likely be paying in Linden Dollars (L$) which you can buy for real money at approximately 250 linden dollars for 1 US dollar.

Adding a Building

As noted in the first step, there are options that include a house/building. Those are probably your best choice right now. Later on you can buy a pre-built house and if you want to learn, eventually you can build your own building.

Get a Picture frame

Being new to SL you should be able to find some free picture frames on the marketplace (marketplace.secondlife.com). If you are adventureous, you can try to rez a cube and make your very own picture frames but that is another lesson.

Upload your picture

On the "me" menu of your viewer there is an "uploads" sub menu. Use it to send pictures from your desktop computer into Second Life. It costs 10 Linden Dollars (like 3 cent real money) per picture to send the pictures into Second Life. They show up in your inventory.

Put the picture in the picture frame

Probably the easiest part of the process. it's drag and drop. Find the picture you uploaded in your second life inventory (there's an icon in the viewer that looks like a suitcase to show your inventory) and drag it to the center of the picture frame. In a couple of seconds you should see the picture in the picture frame.

Best of luck

Hi Laxmadur (Andri ;-),

The easiest way to do what you wish will be to rent a small parcel of land, or some space in the sky. Although you are actually renting server space, it will be described in terms of square meters and "prim" allowances. 10x10 meters is pretty cozy, you'll probably want to go a bit larger to display your paintings, which shouldn't be an issue on most rental parcels. Renting, as one might expect, will require the expenditure of some money. Over the years, I've rented small spaces for as little as L$75/week (about USD$0.30/week) that had a 25 prim allowance. That would be just enough space to create a simple cube home and hang a few paintings on the walls. You can also rent an apartment or house with a modest prim allowance to save yourself the effort (and prims) of building your own home.

To display your paintings, you'll need to create an object onto which you can load your JPEG files. A simple cube, stretched into the proportions of a typical painting, would be a good starting point. That cube would count as one prim against your allotment. You'd use the same technique to texture the walls of your cube house. There are a great many textures already available in the free SL library (in your inventory window) that you can use to build your home.

There's some learning involved here, and you can practice your techniques at a public sandbox. Search for "sandbox" to get a list of potential building places where you can learn. You will not be able to leave your creations there, but you can take them back into your inventory when you're done making them.

I suggest you look around for building classes and make friends who can teach you how to work SL. There are quite a few helpful folks here in the forum that can answer your questions as you go.

There's a lot to learn Andri, get ready to climb the learning curve and good luck!

Maddy

You need to have control of some land.  See this article:

Land and houses 2012

The simplest way would be to get a premium account and buy a small parcel.   See this article:

Second Life : Basic or Premium? 2012

You might prefer to start by making contact with the Artistic community in SL. They could help you with ways to display your art in places where it will be seen specifically by people interested in art.   See this: 

Art done in virtual worlds Summary  2012

TKR

You could get a megaprim and hollow it out, and texture it, to make a very low prim 10 by 10 meter house. You could cut a doorway into one side, or else leave it solid and just 'sit in' to the house if you know how. Without a door and with a flat roof on top that's only 2 prims.

To put your own pictures on the walls, you'd upload each image (10 L each) and put it on one side of a flat prim. Drop by any NCI hub and someone can talk you through it.

If I was starting out like Andri, knowing wat I know, I would get about $20 (or Icelandic equivalent) worth of linden bucks. I'd first go to a sandbox and figure out how to build the house, making floors, walls, doors, windows, and roof. Once I've built a house I'm happy with I'd save it to my inventory and go searching for a parcel of land for rent. I like the rentals that have a little box on the land that you pay. Then I'd put my house on the land and voila! $20 worth of linden bucks should cover a few months of renting a small 512m parcel.

There are a lot of pre made freebie houses around by the way, although not all of them are just a 2 prim cube. There might be some of those on marketplace, too, though.

If you drop by a busy sandbox, and it is not in the middle of being griefed, you might even ask a friendly looking avatar how to make a cube and a flat prim and texture it. :)

Melita Magic wrote:

You could get a megaprim and hollow it out, and texture it, to make a very low prim 10 by 10 meter house. You could cut a doorway into one side, or else leave it solid and just 'sit in' to the house if you know how. Without a door and with a flat roof on top that's only 2 prims.

To put your own pictures on the walls, you'd upload each image (10 L each) and put it on one side of a flat prim. Drop by any NCI hub and someone can talk you through it.

Well, if he were to stick with the intended 10x10, he wouldn't even need a megaprim. Reminds me of my first oh-so-low prim skybox: two hollowed out 10x10x6 blocks (I didn't know there were megaprims in those days) mated end-to-end and two end pieces. I did make one end invisible from inside so I could look out at the stars while patting myself on the back for being so creative. Elegance.:smileyvery-happy:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Well, if he were to stick with the intended 10x10, he wouldn't even need a megaprim. Reminds me of my first oh-so-low prim skybox: two hollowed out 10x10x6 blocks (I didn't know there were megaprims in those days) mated end-to-end and two end pieces. I did make one end invisible from inside so I could look out at the stars while patting myself on the back for being so creative. Elegance.:smileyvery-happy:

You can go up to 64x64x64 now, although you can't link things further apart than 54m.

Elegance in bib overalls is quite an accomplishment.

Melita Magic wrote:

Also, if you link two basic prims together and then change them from prim to convex hull, you have just made your two prim box into one prim (land impact, actually). That's useful if you are trying to save on prims and have a lot of decorations or whatever. Linking two things together like this and then changing them effectively cuts your prim count in half. More complex shapes may actually increase in LI though, so use carefully.

Yeah, it's a byproduct of the whole mesh thing. I went throughout my home and started linking things together, like the rug to the floor, or a shadow prim to the table, or even random objects that I knew I wouldn't be moving anytime soon. Like I said though, be careful, if you change a complex shape you might go over your limit and have things returned to you.

Another thing I will add, in case anyone reading this doesn't know, if you have a mesh item and you are allowed to edit it, making it smaller can reduce its LI. I had a couch that was at 5 and was a bit large for me so I made it a bit smaller and it became LI of 3. 

Convex hull is something that arrived with Mesh. I know from your posts that you're still using V1 and can't see/do mesh, but this probably applies even so. What you can place on a parcel is no longer measured in prims, it is measured in Land Impact (that's what the LI stands for). I have not looked, because I haven't needed to—back when prims DID matter I had a pretty good cushion at home—and thus I am clueless about how to move forward. The one thing I have seen and that Charolotte affirms is that using convex hull (whaterever the **** that is) can reduce your Land Impact.

Learning about all this stuff is on my list of things to do. Honest.

Melita Magic wrote:

What does convex hull do?

The top prim for the roof is just a flat prim.

Dillon's idea is also really good and probably easier for people to do than hollowing a mega prim; can't resize a mega.

It doesn't do anything but reduce land impact as far as a non builder/mesh creator like me is concerned, I am sure it has much more implications for them though.

Everything you and Dillon would do remains the same, with the addition of linking and changing prim to convex hull. A two prim box would become the equivalent of one and a 4 prim box into 2. It is a way to save on prims if you need to worry about that due to limitations.

A great way to see this in action is rez two cubes, link them and then change them to convex hull. Everything stays the same but they halve in land impact.  

Thanks both. Still not sure I understand, but it sounds like something else I need to learn...some day.

The learning curve with SL is so steep isn't it, and never seems to end.

Not sure how to measure land impact vs. prims. Does linking a prim reduce land impact?

Wonder if they have a "bring dinos into the new SL" class anywhere?

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

What does convex hull do?

The top prim for the roof is just a flat prim.

Dillon's idea is also really good and probably easier for people to do than hollowing a mega prim; can't resize a mega.

Everything you and Dillon would do remains the same, with the addition of linking and changing prim to convex hull. A two prim box would become the equivalent of one and a 4 prim box into 2. It is a way to save on prims if you need to worry about that due to limitations.

TY, but just for the record I dragged myself kicking and screaming into the then latest non-beta Firestorm a while back so I'm like, all mesh capable and stuff. I just haven't started playing with the convex hull and linking things because I haven't needed to do so. I will at some point. Probably ;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.