Selling Mesh? Fullperm?

Syle Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I am working on making mesh to sell. I used to sell fullperm sculpts with just ambient occlusion textures but stopped quiet awhile ago due to time. Now I have more time and am thinking about selling mesh but not sure if selling a fullperm mesh with just some basic textures would be good enough as it has been awhile since I've ventured in that market. Would investing more time and selling working items that aren't fullperm be better?

There is so much fullperm mesh but does it sell better than mesh furniture and props that are already set up with textures and animations?

How do you go about selling fullperm items? Fullperm Mesh? Fullperm Sculpts? 

Thanks for your time **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif" border="0" alt=":smileyhappy:" title="Smiley Happy" />

Hello, i don´t have any numbers about this topic but

selling full perm mesh is a limited market for creators or advanced people to build their own things out of. That´s why the price for full perm items usually is higher.

Ready set furniture or things can sell to anyone but cheaper.

Which suits best or sell more is hard to say by simply compare the numbers, sales vs. price.

However selling full perm mesh (sculpties) to have people texture them needs to be alot more sensitive on creating the UV map than if just the creator works with.

Monti

Syle Devin wrote:

Would investing more time and selling working items that aren't fullperm be better?

There is so much fullperm mesh but does it sell better than mesh furniture and props that are already set up with textures and animations?

Personally I believe, the most important is that you provide good quality, no matter if you choose to do it as ready made sets or as templates for further modifications.

Especially for the full perm mesh templates, there are a lot of mesh template sellers but unfortunately few with really good quality. No matter which way you choose, invest time in quality for the customer.

Syle Devin wrote:

How do you go about selling fullperm items? Fullperm Mesh? Fullperm Sculpts?

There is a special category for mesh items, see Building Components/Mesh creator tools. List them there :)

Otherwise, can you clarify what you mean? How to sell full perm mesh? Or full perm in general? I thought your question was about full perm mesh templates vs mesh items?

Thanks for the feedback. :matte-motes-big-grin:

I always do my best make sure that all items I sell are the best quality I can make them and spend my time on items which is why I am spending so much time figuring out how to sell them. I can put just a bit more time and make those same items have animations and other things to sell them on my own or I can just leave them as textured non interactive objects and sell them fullperm for others to create with. I've sold items both ways and enjoyed it so I have no preference. I enjoy creating so how I sell my items doesn't really bother me. Not to advertise, especially since i have no items for sale yet, but I am trying to make low perm mesh furniture, 1 land impact if possible. Currently it's a matter of what the market needs more of or what my do better $L wise since I have no preference otherwise. 

When I asked, "How do you go about selling fullperm item?", I meant, "What is your way of selling fullperm items for creation?". As in what does someone, who sells fullperms items already, consider when creating items for fullperm or why they chose to sell items that way over another.

Syle Devin wrote:

When I asked, "How do you go about selling fullperm item?", I meant,
"What is your way of selling fullperm items for creation?"
. As in what does someone, who sells fullperms items already, consider when creating items for fullperm or why they chose to sell items that way over another.

This is a topic that I've been thinking about quite a bit lately, so I'll share my thoughts.

Let me tell a little story to put this all into perspective. So, a couple years ago, I had people coming to me daily and checking out this boxing system that I helped to make. They were unsatisfied with their current combat system. I decided maybe I could enhance my boxing system to be a more universal combat and rpg system. I decided to do this right as mesh was coming out, as I knew the mesh weapons would be far superior to the sculpty versions, and more visually efficient, which combat games need. After about 6-10 months of working on it full time, we released our new combat system. I made dozens and dozens of different mesh items for the system, but it never took off like I thought, and spending more time and money on the system was not a very productive way to spend my time. Oh, the system sells really good for the same demographic that my old system sold to. They love it, but I don't sell enough to advance the other parts of the system. People invested tons of money into other systems, and it is too risky for them to invest in other systems unless those systems already have a big following.

I just thought this was a good example of a market, combat systems, that probably needs major investment and marketing to make any headway.  On the other side tho, there is a huge market for full perm guns for gun makers that use different systems. What I plan on doing, is selling all the mesh guns that I made for builders to use to make their own working guns for whatever system they want. It doesn't really hurt my combat system if I'm not selling a bunch of guns. I also made npc animals and monsters. These are all good parts that any builder of combat systems would need and want for their customers.

Basically, there are markets that are perfect for full perm sellers, and some that aren't as good. There are thousands of weapons makers, just as there are thousands of clothing makers, or furniture makers. These are all good markets for full perm sellers, and for other types of sellers. 1 type of seller doesn't really hurt the other, as they all have their own specialties.

Now, I'm mostly an animator, but I can make a good efficient mesh. In both markets, I see areas where it is smart to sell to builders vs making fully functioning products. Some markets have many creators, and people already can find those items. If you don't make the best 1, you'll likely not sell many. Even just a wrong color choice can turn off customers. Some of the largest companies in the world got rich because their products made other people money. You won't think twice about buying something when you know for sure they will make all that money back and more. For this reason, I think selling full perm can be a very good business model. My advice tho, if you want to sell full perm, is to at least spend some time making sure that it is possible to make a finished product with your parts. I don't mean give the customer everything they need. I mean that occasionally, when you create something that is not meant to be a working product, you won't think about how it need to be made to actually function properly. Like, if you make a car, and the wheels aren't a separate object in the model, than the full perm buyer can't make the wheels rotate or turn.

Just my thoughts.

A couple of problems I see with selling full perm mesh -  

People who buy them probably can't make mesh themselves and are most likely still working with standard prims. Therefore, they will try to link the full perm mesh parts to their standard prim creations. I saw a full perm mesh staircase get a 1 star rating because this person tried to link it to standard prims and the LI blew out.

Another problem with full perm mesh is you can't export it to do your own adjustments, unless you sell the .dae file with it. Otherwise, all you can do is change the size and link it to other mesh parts - or risk blowing out the LI.

I can be rectified here. This is just going on my own experience and thoughts.

I saw a full perm mesh staircase get a 1 star rating because this person tried to link it to standard prims and the LI blew out.

Another problem with full perm mesh is you can't export it to do your own adjustments, u
nless you sell the .dae file with it
. Otherwise, all you can do is change the size and link it to other mesh parts - or risk blowing out the LI.

I can be rectified here. 
This is just going on my own experience and thoughts.

There have been changes to LI costs (for the better) since Mesh first came out.  If LI blows out, it is either due to a torus (which is a resource hog - I try to avoid using them) or an improper setting on the features tab.  As a rule of thumb, set everything to convex hull and only switch to prim if necessary.

I do sell full perm mesh. The people who buy it, love it. But there are some differences to what people are used to.

When a builder buys my fp sculpt maps or textures - whatever they build with those will have THEIR name on it as the creator - not me. The advantage to the creator is obvious. And I dont get their customers coming to me for help. But then again - my name isnt on their build - good thing/ bad thing.

Now when a builder buys my fp mesh in-world, they end up with an object that has my name on it. I create my meshes so that they can usually be linked to another small prim and not increase in land impact. And my TOS states that my building supplies are meant to be part of a build - so this shouldnt be a problem. 

But unlike clothes, where the mesh creators name is less obvious, rezzed mesh objects do still carry the creators name when inspected. So its a big of a change. Some builders dont mind it, and some do.

I've been asked if I will send the .dae files to somenes email, and Im not yet comfortable with that. Not only will my name as a creator be erased from that item once they upload it, but also the uploading of mesh involves physics shapes and LOD settings that would take quite a bit of explaining.

Sea Warcliffe wrote:

I've been asked if I will send the .dae files to somenes email, and Im not yet comfortable with that. Not only will my name as a creator be erased from that item once they upload it, but also the uploading of mesh involves physics shapes and LOD settings that would take quite a bit of explaining.

I sell full perms meshes as well, and I'm not going to sell my .dae files. As a creator of full perms items you are already an easy target for IP right infringments. WIth a mesh uploaded by you, you can more or less be sure that the possible infringments will be limited to SL, and its hard enough to control a big world like SL already. Now when you sell your .dae files this opens the complete worldwide web for infringments. One day you might want to consider to sell your meshes on other venues as well, to discover that some unknown person has uploaded them there before you...

That is what I see as the main risk of selling your .dae files.

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

I sell full perms meshes as well, and I'm not going to sell my .dae files. As a creator of full perms items you are already an easy target for IP right infringments. WIth a mesh uploaded by you, you can more or less be sure that the possible infringments will be limited to SL, and its hard enough to control a big world like SL already. Now when you sell your .dae files this opens the complete worldwide web for infringments. One day you might want to consider to sell your meshes on other venues as well, to discover that some unknown person has uploaded them there before you...

That is what I see as the main risk of selling your .dae files.

Exactly my concerns. Thank you for stating it so clearly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.