automatic viewer download creates corrupt files

linoleum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When second life automatically downloads a new version of the program, it never installs properly and I have to manually download it. What's worse is that it puts the old version in the trash and I am unable to delete the files. How do I stop these automatic update downloads? It is extremely annoying to have to spend 1/2 hour each time trying to get these files to delete. I am on a IMAC using Snow Leopard.

2 answers to this question

Using the official SL V-3, go to preferences > setup tab and under the "Software updates" select "Download and install updates manually".

And just for your information (in my opinion) it's never a good idea to allow any progrram to automatically update itself..........that includes Windows Update for the Windows users.  Just learn to get in the habit of manually checking for updates and installing the ones you want or need.  It's fine to allow your software to check for updates.  Just don't let them automatically install them for you.  You'll have far fewer problems like the problems you are experiencing.  There's also an advantage to having the setup file on your hard drive should you want to need to revert back to the older version (of course, that means you have to save it somewhere.......I have a folder specifically set up for all my setup files.  I even have that old SL 1.23 setup saved that I can install anytime I think I need it).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.