What are Second Life Bots Capable of?

Corky31

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I keep getting bots on the land I am living on with a few of my friends I have met and they made me estate manager and I am able to ban every time I view a profile of a person I ban it says they are a bot and are spamming people on the sim so I am curious what capabilities they have.

6 answers to this question

A bot -- known technically as a "scripted agent" -- is just an avatar that's under computer control rather than the direct control of a person.  Depending on the complexity of the proram that drives it, the bot can do anything that a human-controlled avatar can do.  You could create a bot yourself by opening a new account -- an alt -- and registering it on your dashboard at secondlife.com >>> Account >>> Scripted Agent Status.  All you'd need then would be some controlling software and a hosting site, both of which are readily available

Linden Lab's Bot Policy puts few restrictions on how bots may be used.  Basically, they may not be used to gain unfair advantage in search results by inflating traffic stats, they may not be used to steal material protected by Intellectual Property policy, and they may not place an unusual load on sim resources.

Incidentally, as a sim manager, you have the power to ban anyone (except the sim's owner :smileysurprised:) -- bot or "normal" avatar -- and you don't have to have a reason at all. 

• Like 2

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Corky31.

Bots can perform a multitude of tasks, from following their owner and creating art, to picking up land at the lowest prices, to sending out messages to groups, ie spam, to monitoring whatever the owner wants to monitor.

Bots are not all out to get you, but some may be. My advice would be to read all about Second Life bots (Google is your friend, and also there are tutorials and information on youtube too - look for Second Life bots).

And continue banning any avatars - bots or otherwise - that make you feel unhappy or uncomfortable.

I'm sure you have a ton more questions, which you can add to this thread either by clicking on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit" or use the "permalink" option at the bottom left of an individual's post that you wish to respond to.

• Like 2

Hello,

bots can do everything that a normal resident can do (build, take snapshots, chat, receive messages, download textures and assets, and also upload them, read and change parcel and region/estate properties, buy or sell land, or search for particular things/stats/avatars, manage groups, update or create objects and scripts,... ), but they can do it faster and automated.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.