New delivery system shotcomings relative to boxed delivery

paratracker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know designers are moving to the new delivery system, but I think the old box delivery system has advantages that the new one lacks.  When you unpack a box, you get a folder with the contents of the box (like unzipping an archive) and the box remains pristine, out of reach.  I often annotate the folder name to add content details to the title.  In the new delivery system, you can't modify the folder names, so can't add annotations.  Even more important, if you screw up editing a prim in an unboxed set, you can always trash the whole thing and unpack the box a second time, but in the new delivery system you're screwing with the only copy you're going to get.  How is the new way an improvement?  To me, it seems like a giant step backwards.

• Like 1

As a merchant, I am not moving to Direct Delivery unless and until it becomes mandatory which.  At the moment it looks like LL might end up having to keep both delivery systems since there are still some major issues outstanding since DD was introduced in the Spring of 2012  that have not or cannot be fixed.  CommerceTeamLinden's last post re: DD on the Merchant Forums was that shutting off Magic Boxes has been pushed back "indefinitely."

I have found that folders cannot be renamed while still in the received items folder, but once you move them into inventory you can rename them. 

If for some reason you cannot rename them still, I like to make a new folder, name it and label it as I see fit, then put the unrenameable stuff in that.

Also, it is good practice to always make a copy of anything that you are able to before you begin editing it, in case of unrecoverable errors.

Those tips apply to both delivery systems.

• 2 weeks later...

It's supposed to deliver more reliably and merchants no longer need land to sell on marketplace.

With your two problems, so long as the items are copy,  when you get your folder, rezz a box inworld.  Place the contents of the folder with the stuff you just got delivered into the box and name it whatever you want the folder to be named.  Now open and unpack that box like you normally would to generate your new folder that you can modify and annotate, and then take the box into your inventory.  Now you have your folder that you can change the name on and your box of unaltered stuff in case you need to start over with a prim that gets ruined while worn or something.  Go ahead and delete the original folder you were sent.

If you screw up a prim you are wearing while editing and you don't already have another copy, leave the item on, go to your inventory, left highlight the item you ruined, right click and copy, then left click and paste (maybe add a "B" to the end of the name of the new copy you just generated).  Take the original off and delete it (make sure you delete the original not the new copy!).  The item doesn't update fully until you take it off so the new copy will be like the old copy was before you put it on as long as you make it before you take the item you ruined off.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.