Altering a shoe so wearer doesn't sink into or float above the floor

paratracker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can adjust the Z of the avatar itself. On Firestorm, this is simple - there is a quick preferences icon at the bottom of the screen that looks like the Firestorm logo, and when you click it, a box appears. In the box is something like "avatar height" with a slider - move it left to lower the avatar, and right to lift the avatar. I don't know if this is possible in the official viewer; I thought it was, but I don't remember where that thread is at the moment.

This should help with your other problem, too - adjust your shoes higher on the leg to eliminate the gap between shoe and ankle/calf, then adjust the Z modifier get your avi back on the floor.

• Like 1

Potentially, yes. It would depend on the shoes. I don't notice that the height different is incredibly significant between any two pairs of shoes I own, including between flats and heels, so I don't worry too much about it. If it really bothers you, viewers with the quick preferences option make it extremely easy to pull up the window and adjust Z by a few points. It only takes a few seconds.

Okay, here's what worked...  The Shoe Base in the delivered apparel folder was locked, so unavailable for editing, but I discovered a Create New Shoes menu option in the Appearance Dialog and tried that.  Then I experimented platform height, finding 30 worked best for these shoes.  The New Shoes don't get saved to the original apparel folder, so you have to find it.  I forget where I found it, but if you search for New Shoes while they're attached it will be easier to pick it out among other New Shoes that might be in your inventory.  Then detach so you can move it into the folder with the other componentsof the shoes.  Once they're detached, you can rename the file; I named mine after the shoes they were designed to fix.  If you had a whole outfit that included those shoes, just add the (renamed) New Shoes to the current outfit and save.

Thanks to Ariel for tossing out suggestions; making me think, ...  but the real credit goes to Mandrakke Dagger (of Drakke Designs).  I didn't know how to resize promo shoes I bought from his shop so he invited me over.  While there, I asked him for suggestions on the float issue and he suggested editing the shoe base.  Although the shoe base tuened out to be locked, he put me on a path where I could discover "Create New Shoes".

---------- Epilogue

FYI, ... I first noticed ankle gaps, floating above or sinking into the floor on freebies (so can't really ask the designer), but I later bought "Nani Boots By:Wilay Stylez" finding that they floated above the floor.  Wrote to laylani.dover asking what I should do and never got a response.

Bought "Genny Black" shoes, finding transparent ankle gaps, that they sunk into the floor, and skin tone sync was impossibly inadequate.  Wrote to diabolika.sibilant asking what I could do to remedy those issues and never heard back.

Bought "Urban Wrap Boots", finding that they produced graphical artifacts (maybe needed an alpha?).  Wrote to dd.jameson and never heard back.

Bought Esther Shoes that were not delivered. Wrote to jessii2010warrhol and never heard back.

Earlier (before learning not to get too enthusiastic about promo shoes), I bought "Mayden couture" in five colors and joined the Mayden Couture main group (adding L$20 on top of the shoes), finding alphas missing from all five pairs.  Wrote to mayden.ushimawa to get the alphas (one alpha would cover all pairs) and never heard back.

That degree of customer disregard stands in stark contrast to Mandrakke Dagger's cordial help on issues his shoes didn't exhibit.  IMO, that puts him in a particularly good light relative to his competition.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.