Does SL run with an internet stick too?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe someone can tell me, cause I have actually no clue about this at all.

At the moment I have a router but could be that in future I have to switch to a stick maybe.

So I would like to know If this would be a problem then?

Is there something special I should buy or look for or is it the same as with a normal internet connection?

I hope for a few answers, thank you.

Your description of your situation is still pretty vague to me.

You should define stick better first. If you mean a USB stick for wireless networking, I'm quite sure you'd still need a router to access internet via your ISP. If you mean a stick for internet connection from a phone provider to hook up to internet by 3G-network, connections like those are usually limited and too expensive to enjoy SL.

If all your routers are gone at some point in time and you are just left with an empty RJ-45 socket,  I'd advise using wired LAN.

ETA : Will your cable/ADSL modem ( which usually is the first router in your network and gateway to the internet )  disappear too ?

We have a wireless USB modem that I run SL of (if that is what you mean with "stick") and it works perfectly well for SL. That is, until the limited data usage is consumed, which for SL doesn't take long and then it is slow because our provider start to limit the speed.

To share the connection, we often have it connected to a router too, but both solutions works for SL.

My advice would be to check/compare what data amount the provider offers you and to what speed (and if they start to limit it after a certain amount is consumed as well).

I've had both 3G and 4G usb modems, and both ran SL quite well, at least when I use them where there is a good wireless signal.  (Sometimes we park our RV where there is not even a phone signal).  

In contrast, I've had very mixed sucess hooking up to various public wi-fi conntections.  A lot of them show too much packet loss to be useable, even though download speeds are high.  I rarely see packet loss issues with the usb modem, unless I am right on the fringe.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Well....considering how unsuccessful it can be to get SL to run with wireless, I would bet a stick causes the same problems. It could also be a really slow experiance.

that's a myth. A properly configured 802.11.n router runs sl just fine.

You're talking about these Huawei 3G sticks? Yeah, they are great when you're in an area with good coverage. I use mine when we're travelling. In cities they usually work great, even for SL if you're not trying to break an overland speed record with your car/motorcycle. Tried the stick on a little island in the North Sea with less satisfying results. Could only use it outside.

Anyway, I can't recommend those for permanent use on SL. Most providers giving you a fake flatrate, 5GB hispeed and after that you're throttled down to unusuable dial-in speeds. And when you have to wait 3 minutes for a normal internet site to show up you can imagine what it does to your SL experience.

So by all means use those fancy shticks for checking your email, reading Orcablog or other insignificant stuff. But don't use it as a permanent SL solution. You'll use up the 5 GB in a matter of days and then it becomes ridiculously expensive.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.