Client lag spikes every 10 seconds

DeeVious Dagger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is the second day this is happening...I am having serious lag spikes in client every 10 seconds...I didnt make any changes...I signed in and havent been able to do much..can barely get dressed since the spikes are every 10 seconds...

I did the character test...cleared cache....all my settings are correct....tried different viewers....all lag spiked..It almost seems like somebody is hitting me with some kind of lag hud...and please dont say it isnt possible theres a new hud out there that even knocks you off of skype...

2 answers to this question

Chances are good that it is something very close to home.  If you are on wireless, for example, there could be a source of interference nearby that's messing with your signal.  Cell phones will do it.  So will garage door openers, all sorts of "smart" equipment, fluoresecent light fixtures, nearby power lines, and the guy next door testing a TARDIS in his basement.  If you're using a public hub, you can be losing bandwidth to other users too.  Wireless is a lousy choice for SL.

If you're not using wireless, your router could be messing up, or your ISP could be having problems.

Another good possibility is your anti-virus program.  Some AV programs -- Norton is notorius -- will treat any downloaded file as a threat and have to check it.  If your AV program is taking time to check every time your viewer updates your texture cache, you can lag badly.  See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/antivirus_whitelisting for information about how to whitelist your viewer (and other SL plugins).

Everything Rolig mentioned is very possible.  But, the problem might be as simple as the sim (or region) that you are on is experiencing problems......such as a haywire script.  Try logging into another sim (a couple of Linden Lab maintained sims are Pooley and Aqua).  If the problem persists then it's a good bet it's something on your end.  If not then the sim that you are having the problem in needs a restart.  For a mainland sim submit a support ticket requesting a restart (if you are premium you can open a Live Chat session and request the restart...that method is quit a bit quicker).  For a private estate, contact the sim owner (or a manager with rights to restart a sim).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.