can ppl get ip bann for useing a name thats just like mine but not me?

LILprnstar19 Gabardini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Freya has answered you here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Abuse-and-Griefing/can-ppl-get-in-trouble-for-copy-boting-a-name/qaq-p/1838147

Even if you file an abuse report, you will only get an acknowledgement email from LL that your AR was received. You will never know if LL took action against this resident and what was this action if there was any. It's not LL's policy to keep you informed of their decision and possible sanctions. 

• Like 1

No, they can't be banned, or even Abuse Reported, for using a display name that is the same as your name.  Both user name and Display Name must comply with the LL Terms of Service...that is, not obscene, not offensive, and not infringing intellectual property.  I could not have a name of "MileyCyrus" or "F*ckUB*tch", for example.  If I did, and someone reported it, I would not be banned, though.  What would happen is that LL would change my name for me.  I might become "SmileyCyril" or "FurlongBatch". 

But aside from that, Display Names can be any name at all, even yours.  I could log on right now and set my Display Name so that I was LILprnstar19 Gabardini (lindal.kidd).

What IS reportable is evidence that the person is using the similarity of their Display Name to harrass or discredit you.  This can be hard to prove, and will require you to keep chat and IM logs to use as evidence.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.