I want a skybox that's hard to find

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i do ? oh ok i think i can know who you mean now (:

+

was the clevers that i thought be good

like it scans and makes a list of boats say in the vicinity then on next scan it compare your position to the last to see if you approaching. if you stopped or moving parralel or moving away then it don't do anything. just only says something if you stay on present course that will cause you a problem if you keep going in the direction

is some RL warning systems that do that way

I want an old nanny with a baking tray of cookies to shoo me away slowly with her apron.

16 wrote:

now suppose you could buy a orb thats made like a buoy. can put on the edge your parcel in the water. ok is a visual clue for me on my boat. so thats good

where can be clever is the buoy/orb can scan the waters. when it picks me up then can say:

can even make the buoy a lighthouse. or a seagull maybe that just sit/float on the water

Wow, sorry you're having this problem. Sounds like you  have someone in particular you are trying to avoid. (Can't imagine you mean just anybody cuz...well....that seems strange to me lol) Best advice, if you use firestorm (dunno about other viewer settings) turn off hearing sounds on your land from outside of it and viewing the avatars. Yeah they'll see the interior of the place but by what I understand they won't be able to spot you personally or your guests. If you block the individual wouldn't that block objects belonging to you from their veiw? I did used to have a security system that set verticle distance for how far it sensed, I can try to look for it /name of it if ya think that'll help any. Area searching items and agents makes it impossible to disappear off the map but ya do what ya can.

Why not move your box?

Some general thoughts regarding the topics in this thread:

Don't rez anything on the mainland that you don't want everyone to see.  You can do your best to hide things in the air, camouflage things, create distractions, instantly eject anyone who enters your land, but that won't change the fact someone only needs to get within draw distance to see your objects.

If you want the maximum privacy available in SL, you need to buy a private island and lock it down so that only you and your friends have access.

Instantly ejecting anyone who enters your land (on mainland) is IMO a *bad* way of hiding your stuff.  It will simply make people curious to see what you're hiding.

People flying/sailing/driving through other people's land (on mainland) and getting instantly dumped by a security script has been a point of contention ever since people have been flying/sailing/driving.  This includes both going straight through the center of someone's land and accidentally nipping across the corner of their land.  Back in the day when the Lindens were more communicative with residents, they recommended a 10 second delay (still ridiculously short but better than nothing).  I remember seeing people post that they had security orbs removed for instantly ejecting anyone.

I own land on the mainland and demand the right to control access to it.  I completely understand land owner's frustrations with seemingly being told that they can't control who's on their land.

I also fly/sail/drive across the mainland.  If I get instantly ejected by a security script, there's a good chance I'll AR it.  This is due to the fact that flying/sailing/driving are perfectly legal TOS-wise and it's impossible for me to know there's a security script in use.  If it instantly ejects everyone, I consider that harassment.

I've been ejected by security scripts various times over the years.  Not once was I ever trying to cause someone grief.  Not once was anyone actually home at the time.

When unchecking “Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel” be aware that all they have to do is, well, move onto your parcel.  This includes being up in the air and moving over, and therefore above (aka “on”), your parcel.  Unchecking “Allow Public Access” doesn't really help much.  That just bans people to about 50m above ground level.  You'd have to combine it with a security script and my thoughts on that are above.  Or actively monitor who's over your land and manually eject/blacklist them.

If I had my way, mainland parcel privacy would be completely revamped.  One general concept would be that people would be able to mark their land private (which may include preventing access, avatar visibility, chat visibility, and perhaps even prim visibility).  That land would then be displayable on the map/mini-map.  Then flyers/sailors/drivers could easily avoid private areas.

Hugsy Penguin wrote:

If I had my way, mainland parcel privacy would be completely revamped.  One general concept would be that people would be able to mark their land private (which may include preventing access, avatar visibility, chat visibility, and perhaps even prim visibility).  That land would then be displayable on the map/mini-map.  Then flyers/sailors/drivers could easily avoid private areas.

i defo vote for this. more detail on the mini-map be great

I want to see/know about the restricted area before I enter it. so that I can go round it on my vehicle. if people want to have their privacy I am 100% in support of that. is their land. i just dont want to get killed bc i didnt know beforehand

16 wrote:

about the scoping out past your own land. i have no idea why the people who make these things allow the homeowner to do this. it cant kill/eject anyone not on the land. like don't they even test the stuff before they make and sell/distribute it

It's an amateurish orb that issues warnings to people who are not on or above the owner's land. So amateurish that I'm doubtful that any actually exist. When I fist made mine, it did warn people who were in the next sim if the orb was close to the border. That was an LL error and it could be worked around, but I suppose that some are made without the workaround. It may also be that that error was fixed by LL.

also

is a market for clever orbs. but i never seen any

just say you wants to not have people on your beachfront. so you think ok i will put in a orb

now suppose you could buy a orb thats made like a buoy. can put on the edge your parcel in the water. ok is a visual clue for me on my boat. so thats good

where can be clever is the buoy/orb can scan the waters. when it picks me up then can say:

" warning: on your present course you are approaching a restricted area marked by the buoy. please alter your course. if you do enter the restricted area then you will be removed"

i much rather get this one time warning before i cross into the restricted area. i would actual welcome it. better than get death threats that cant be carried out anyways on my present position. or get no warning until i am in the restricted area. and dont have time to leave under my own power/steam

can even make the buoy a lighthouse. or a seagull maybe that just sit/float on the water

What you described sounds good but have you thoght about it? What happens if a neighbour, or a neighour's guest, moves towards your parcel? What happens if someone (anyone) 2 or 3 parcels away moves towards your parcel? How would that person know which parcel the message applied to? What about time? It only take a second for someone to fly across a 512 parcel, and it would need quite a lot of time for someone to receive the message, realise what it's saying, and stop to figure out what it's referring to. So it would need to warn people who are quite long way away and, if there are smallish parcels and buildings around, as is very common, it could still be very difficult for the person to know which area to avoid.

What you described does sound good but it's impractical. It would be too confusing all round, and it would be just plain wrong to start issuing warnings to people who are in the other parcels in the area. It's
much
better to issue warnings to people who are actually on your parcel, and give them time to leave.

How about if:

• there was a feature in viewer (a toggle):
  1. warn me about resticted area when I'm near it (user adjustable how near)
  2. warn me only when I'm already in the restricted area

• there was also a visual indication showing the borders of the restricted area
  (for example low flashing fence around the area...)

That would be perfect for sailors. :matte-motes-big-grin:
Now, who makes the new feature request to Linden Lab? :matte-motes-wink:

Triple Peccable sells a HUD that does it, and it's ideal for sailing, flying, whatever.

It's a disc that displays the sim you are in, divided into an 8x8 grid - that's into 32m x 32m blocks. There's an arrow that indicates which square of the grid you are in and the direction you are facing (the disc rotates according to your direction). Each square in the grid is coloured according to its status - green = clear (safe), red = banlines, etc. If a 32x32 contains a part that's banlined and a part isn't, it's displayed in a different colour. It also displays a row of 32m blocks on adjacent sims, so you know whether or not it's safe to cross the border. It displays other information about each block too, but you get the idea. You can click on a 32x32 block to see a grid of 4m x 4m squares for it, so you can see which of its 4x4s have banlines and which don't, for instance.

I've been using it for the rallies and it's invaluable. Hugsy uses it too and a few days ago, Elysian and I stood at the start watching his progress. He entered one sim that took him 10 minutes to get through. It must have been an awful sim for banlines. He would have crashed were it not for that HUD.

What it won't do is prevent the crashes that are caused by SL's system; e.g. most crashes are caused by crossing sim borders, and even crawling across them doesn't prevent it.

Melita Magic wrote:

I want an old nanny with a baking tray of cookies to shoo me away slowly with her apron.

Would you settle for a swarm of bees?

Years ago when the orb vs banlines vs no security debate arose on the forums, one poster said she had a security system that sent a swarm of bees after the person and did not return to their hive until after the person was off the property.  She said it was too funny to watch people "hauling a$$" with a swarm of bees on them.
;)

Wouldn't be great for a skybox though.

there are alot of orbs that dont code for  llOverMyLand

they issue a death threat if you within range of the scanner regardless of your actual position. which they cant follow up on bc you not over their land

+

i was more thinking about the clevers and where would an orb want to do this

like if you have a property that borders a linden public space (road sea) then can know this. be smart about it

+

about the minimap. can see that it would break/gom the scanner/mapper business

is a choice linden always face when they decide whether to add functionality to the viewer. they tend to not do this bc of the immediate financial implications for them

was the same with the avatar editor. when linden choose to stop working on it. the reasons for that are the same as why they probably wont add anything more to the minimap

can still ask/vote for it tho. even if probably a waste of time

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Would you settle for a swarm of bees?

Years ago when the orb vs banlines vs no security debate arose on the forums, one poster said she had a security system that sent a swarm of bees after the person and did not return to their hive until after the person was off the property.  She said it was too funny to watch people "hauling a$$" with a swarm of bees on them.
;)

Wouldn't be great for a skybox though.

I didn't mind the bees as much as the death orbs (they do exist Phil), and the prowling tiger wasn't bad, but I did hate the shark, which would churn the water and make blood come out as it pretended to eat you alive. (That one I found while putting starfish in my water and I got a bit too far out.)

This makes it sound like I spent all my time invading properties but I don't and didn't Lol. I just sometimes would test old landmarks so I could delete the useless ones. Often, the private estate land had changed into residential areas by then.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.