Can this be done? Here's a business opportunity for a programmer.

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I continually struggle with my inventory and never get caught up.  One of the reasons for this is that the inworld tools we have for inventory management are lacking. It occurred to me that it might be possible for a third party to make a "viewer" that could provide a lot of help.  I don't mean a program that would be used as a viewer, but an addition to the open-source viewer code.  What I have in mind would be a program that would download all of an account's inventory information---please note that I am NOT talking about downloading content, but about the information that a user can see in the inventory window and in the properties of the contents.  It would then display the information similar to the way Windows Explorer displays information about files.  It would provide sophisticated Boolean search capability.  It would be able to find duplicates.  It would allow the user to delete items, drag and drop items, copy copiable items, and create folders and links.  Finally, it would be able to logon and apply the changes made offline to the online inventory.

Is there some reason this can't be done?

My first impression is that, yes, it can be done.  But you'll need to ask the TPV folks why they don't provide such a feature in a viewer.  I can guess why LL doesn't.....for the same reason LL doesn't provide graphic editing abilities in the viewer (it gets extremely complicated).  LL has a habit (maybe a philosophy) that the user can provide additional features like "inventory management" features.  For instance, LL has never provided tools beyond the basic building. clothing creation tools to any viewer.......they provide the software to allow higher creation tools such as mesh or sculpties, but not the tools in the viewer to actually create them.  The viewer is a very large file as it is.  And it's really nothing more than a specialized browser......imagine what the viewer size would be if they provided all the tools to create everything that can be created (GB's instead of MB's, is my guess).

Some things just have to be done by the users.  Man hours and code are very likely prohibitive for such features.  I would love to have a car that self cleaned the windshield.  And, technically, such a feature is probably very possible.  Will a car manufacturer ever incorporate such a feature?  Probably not........they already give me the windshield washer.  It's up to me the clean the side windows, back windshield and the insides.  Damn Ford!!  LOL.

The inventory layout and protocol aren't bad at all, this could definitely be done. The only reason there isn't a thing like it now is that it needs someone who feels like creating it. It would work nicer with a live connection, maybe using libopenmetaverse for the transactions, than offline, mostly because a mass update after a bunch of offline manipulation is begging for trouble.

The performance for an interface like that would likely be really bad integrated into a full graphical client, at least until most people's computers have taken one or two more generational leaps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.