Is it possible to simulate the effect of spin on a ball projected in SL

Gregory McLeod

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

That would be lovely, but as you know, there's no "air" on SL to interact with.  A physical ball will recognize collisions with the ground or water, or with non-phantom objects, but not with non-existent air.  You'd have to write a rather complicated script, probably with llSetKeyframedMotion, to define a path along which the ball is supposed to move, thus faking the effects of aerodynamics.  You could maybe feed that script a "random" path when the ball is launched, but it would be a pre-determined path from that point on.  It might be convincing to a point, but not very satisfying to a physicist or a baseball fan.  :smileysad:

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

That would be lovely, but as you know, there's no "air" on SL to interact with.  A physical ball will recognize collisions with the ground or water, or with non-phantom objects, but not with non-existent air.  You'd have to write a rather complicated script, probably with llSetKeyframedMotion, to define a path along which the ball is supposed to move, thus faking the effects of aerodynamics.  You could maybe feed that script a "random" path when the ball is launched, but it would be a pre-determined path from that point on.  It might be convincing to a point, but not very satisfying to a physicist or a baseball fan.  :smileysad:

• Like 1

Yes but not with the SL physics alone. You would need to script the spin and change the physical movement to it.

Sounds like alot of work but if you good at maths and phys .... 

Monti

edit: looks tonite i´m again slower than rolig, so for now i´ll keep my mouth shot :matte-motes-bored:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.